SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL500 SRS/Roll-bar light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB SL500, 2012 Infiniti G37S
2003 SL500 SRS/Roll-bar light

I just purchased a used 2003 MB SL500 as a secondary vehicle. While purchasing the car (in Las Vegas) the battery in the car died, so the dealership replaced it via the local MB dealership. I drove it from Las Vegas back to my home in Atlanta, GA over the next 2 days.... 1950 miles, without any major issue.

Now comes the minor issue. I was using the cigarette lighter to charge my phone when the roll bar light started to flash yellow on the dashboard as well as the SRS light flashing red. I unplugged my phone from and the lights went off. Soon after it started to rain, so i turned on the windshield wipers, and the lights came back on (yellow roll bar, red SRS). When I would turn the windshield wipers off, the lights would also turn off.

I drove the car today, and now the windshield wipers won't come on at all and the lights flash when I try to turn on the wipers. I looked through the forum and saw other folks with battery replacement issues, so I did the following:
1. checked all fuses after downloading the diagram. One fuse for the alarm was blow (7.5 amps) which I replaced. everything else was fine.
2. turned the wheel all the way to the left, then to the right, back and forth 3 times. turned the car off, and the wipers still won't work and the lights flash.

I took the car to a local MB service shop (BMI in Norcross, GA) and they will hopefully look at it on Thursday. The manager believes it's electrical and wants to run a few scans on the car to see what codes are coming out.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend that I do myself before paying the service repair facility?

thanks in advance!

mike
Attached Thumbnails 2003 SL500 SRS/Roll-bar light-roll-bar-srs-light.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey! Did you ever find out the problem? I'm having the same issue as you.