SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Problem solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 SL500, 08 ML350
ABC Problem solved

I was getting intermittent ABC warnings, few times a week. I have STAR and read the fault code that said the right rear strut had moved with the control valve locked. Checked the fluid and I was not losing fluid. Figured it must be dirt in the valve letting it leak down and move.

The WIS says the new recommendation is to filter the ABC fluid with the new 3 micron filter that replaced the old 10 micron filter. Filter procedure involved fitting a new 3 micron filter, running the rodeo procedure for 30 minutes and install another new 3 micron filter. This is instead of flushing the ABC fluid. I filtered according to the procedure and still got the ABC warning again. So I went ahead and flushed the ABC fluid with fresh Pentosin CH11S. That solved it, since I did the flush I haven't had anymore problems.
The following users liked this post:
agharta56 (02-16-2019)
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
Thats great info, i had plan on changing my filter from the 10 mic to the 3 , i have no problems yet with 17k miles but knowing this fixed your problem makes me feel a lot better about flushing and changing the filter.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
Number one problem with hydraulic ABC system is dirty fluids !!! I too had Fault codes and change few parts,filter and nothing seem to worked. But As soon as I flushed out dirty fluid and added clean Pentosin fluid to the ABC system now it works 100% like new over a 1 year now with no problems !!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbenz99
Number one problem with hydraulic ABC system is dirty fluids !!! I too had Fault codes and change few parts,filter and nothing seem to worked. But As soon as I flushed out dirty fluid and added clean Pentosin fluid to the ABC system now it works 100% like new over a 1 year now with no problems !!!!
^This!^

It's unbelievable that Mercedes has no recommended scheduled maintenance for the ABC fluid. One of the first things I did when I bought my '05 SL55 back in July was flush the fluid. I did this in my garage with a 5gal pail, some 1/2" clear tube and an assistant. I did buy a Star Diagnostic unit when I bought the car but I did not use it when flushing the fluid (no rodeo necessary).

I'll flush my fluid every 20,000 miles (every other oil change) just to be safe. Cheapest insurance for these cars
Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 PM

SL65
my car has 17k on it now its an 06 , I'm super happy today that i was able to change to the upgraded 3 micron filter so early in the miles with this car.So time will tell if this does help out the Dreaded ABC problems , my guess is it absolutely will. My fluid having low miles was still in my opinion dirty compare to how it looks when its brand new. I used a turkey baster and sucked out a quart from it and refilled with a quart just to give it some fresh.
Im sill scared to do the refill wile the car is running deal, I'm a big chicken
Next week ill do another quart LOL
Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 SL500, 08 ML350
ABC FLUSH

Not really difficult to do the flush, in particular if you have an assistant to help out.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Smile ABC Info contiued

Guys, I have a 2003 SL500 with only 6600 miles on it and noticed that my rear struts were "seeping" ....NOT leaking. After reading all I could find, calling around... including the MBCA Tech POC, various dealers and shops, plus considering replacing and installing "coil-overs.. I decided to keep my ABC system but installed Arnotts' SL55 rebuilt struts vs. SL500......WHICH FIT PERFECTLY.

Also flushed the system, installed the latest filter, and performed the "rodeo" .. The car is back as good as new and I believe the SL55 struts actually ride a "tad" stiffer than before ... which I like - since I always keep the "sport" option engaged ....since new.

Since very little is widely know about this complicated (and potentially VERY expensive) suspension .. It warrants continuous attention and proper maintenance when the first trouble indications occur.

Ron
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM

SL65
When you say seeping how would you describe what it was doing?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM

2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Smile ABC Rear Strut "seeping"

During one of my routine undercarriage inspections LAST YEAR, I noticed the seals on the rear struts were moist around the seal areas. I then wiped them down good and decided to more often re-check them for continued moisture.. This small concern/nuisance continued and seemed to digress from moist to wet... Keep in mind that even the car has VERY low mileage..it IS TEN years old ! .. Hence age is affecting the seals ... German rubber is excellent but has a tendency to age somewhat rapidly in certain climes ... I live in Central Florida.

Being an "**** maintenance freak" per my wife ...I flew Navy planes for 18 years, I had rather try and stay ahead of potential $$$ issues .. the R230 ABC system is a great example.

After contacting dealers (3) in Tampa, Atlanta, Boca Raton, and various local shops ..most with varying opinions and remedies ..plus reading ALL of the treads on this and the few on the MBCA site. I called Armott and talked with Marvin Noel (REALLY a nice and helpful gent - several times) to ascertain that the SL500 and SL55 struts are rebuilt by the same tech and are the exact same.. but with different SK#s (guess the dealers like to make extra money with the "AMG" parts..In fact, Crown MB in St Pete will install the Armott struts (if asked) vice the OEM struts with Arnott's better warranty.

While I agree that the long term cost of COMPLETELY replacing an abused R230 ABC system could cost more than a used SL 230, I have decided to keep my old (but pristine) SL as "upgraded stock" as possible. Having owned and SCCA raced MGs, Jags(XK120M) Lotus MK11, and an ELVA ..at my age, my "wild days" are behind me and I am not interested in gilding a brick to impress folks I don't either like or even know. My ole R230 - well maintained offers all I require and enjoy these days.

More that you asked ..and Happy New Year

Best

Ron
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM

SL500
ABC problem fixed w/ light still comes on

I have an SL500, 2004, that started with the red warning lights a month ago. The front end would drop down after being parked for a few minutes. I followed the great information on this site and rebuilt the valve block and changed the accumulator which I believe was still good. Fluid levels are good. Now car rides high and goes up and down as it is supposed to do. While driving the car, it does not drop, but the lights keep coming on at random. They stay on for 1-2 seconds and go off. The lights don't come on when I hit a bump or train tracks, but at random they do come on and go off.
Do I need to have the error codes cleared?
I was looking at rebuilding the pump, but would like to know how to tell if it is the pump or sensors. I have no leaks at any of the hoses or under any of the hydraulic lifts/ shocks. The pump does not make any noises like the ones others describe on the internet that are obviously bad. Any info on where to go would be appreciated.

I do not have access to diagnostic computer and I understand that is my next step. Would buying Carsoft Ultimate Home MB be the best system to go with for a do-it-yourselfer? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM

sl 55 amg
martinvauhan20 I have a 55 amg problems with abc suspention hade rear strut front acuminater and valves twice they are still leaking but the car is riding high abc lights on all the time most blue lights some times red it tells drive carefull I need to know if eney body knows were to get the valves recondisiond and if eney body can sort out problems with thanks martin vaughan
Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM

sl 55 amg
SL R230 can eney body help me with all the abc problelms I'm at wits end plus its costing thosands£s
Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 PM

SL500
Where is it leaking from? If you are riding high, sounds like the ABC valves and pump are working. The lights may be coming on because of the low level of fluid. You may have a bad hose or if work was done recently, you may have a loose hydraulic fitting at the valve block or accumulator.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
I have had no issues with my 2003 but I'm taking in tomorrow to have the ABC fluid flushed and the filter replaced just as preventative maintenance. I don't feel up to doing this myself.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM

2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Concur with your preventative maintenance actions ... IMO, since the ABC system is so complex and can produce major issues and expenses ... Regular checks for seeps/leaks and bi annual flushing and replacement of fluid and filter to avoid contamination is well worth the chance of more problems.....Especially with older R230s

How's the Pioneer Inn ?

rwm
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
Cost me $387 to have the fluid and filter changed with rodeo today. I think that is cheap insurance.

Last edited by ilovemaui1; 02-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
I just got my SL a few weeks ago. 2006 with 62k miles and the ABC is worrying me to death. No warnings or issues, but it's driving me crazy thinking about what could happen. I absolutely love the car though. Is a strut/shock something you can replace on your own?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by 06SL500AMG
I just got my SL a few weeks ago. 2006 with 62k miles and the ABC is worrying me to death. No warnings or issues, but it's driving me crazy thinking about what could happen. I absolutely love the car though. Is a strut/shock something you can replace on your own?
If you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions well you can absolutely work on your R230 (ABC system included). Strut replacement on a R230 is very straight forward and not that much different than any other car.

I have 102,000 miles on my 2005 SL55. I drive her 60+ miles a day 5 days a week not including weekend trips. I recently replaced all 4 ABC Accumulators (preventive maintenance) , rebuilt both front and rear valve blocks (preventive maintenance) and did a fluid flush. I did all the work in my home garage with common hand tools. To be fair I am a mechanic by trade (restore vintage race cars) but, I find the R230's to be quite easy to work on by modern standards.

The single best thing you can do for the ABC system is routinely flush the fluid every 20,000 or 30,000 miles. I do mine every 20,000 (every other oil change). Change your filter of course while you are at it. I have instructions in the link in my signature on how to flush your ABC fluid in your own garage with very common items available from Lowes/Home Depot. You don't even need to jack the car up!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
Originally Posted by vtvette
If you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions well you can absolutely work on your R230 (ABC system included). Strut replacement on a R230 is very straight forward and not that much different than any other car. I have 102,000 miles on my 2005 SL55. I drive her 60+ miles a day 5 days a week not including weekend trips. I recently replaced all 4 ABC Accumulators (preventive maintenance) , rebuilt both front and rear valve blocks (preventive maintenance) and did a fluid flush. I did all the work in my home garage with common hand tools. To be fair I am a mechanic by trade (restore vintage race cars) but, I find the R230's to be quite easy to work on by modern standards. The single best thing you can do for the ABC system is routinely flush the fluid every 20,000 or 30,000 miles. I do mine every 20,000 (every other oil change). Change your filter of course while you are at it. I have instructions in the link in my signature on how to flush your ABC fluid in your own garage with very common items available from Lowes/Home Depot. You don't even need to jack the car up!
Glad to hear! Where do you usually order your parts from?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
I have had very good luck with mymercedesparts (dot) com. This is the web store for a Mercedes dealer in Atlanta, GA and all parts come in sealed Mercedes boxes. Their prices and customer service are fantastic.

I recently ordered parts from autohausaz (dot) com. Again, fantastic service and while the parts were not Mercedes in-the-box parts they were top quality German parts and where noted were sourced from the OEM supplier to Mercedes. It was nice that they are located in AZ (I am in Las Vegas) so, I had the parts in two days.

I would personally recommend either. It's stores like these that help make these cars affordable, especially if you are DIY Inclined. Yes, these cars are expensive but they don't have to cost a fortune to own or maintain (and more importantly, with a little research you won't feel like you got taken for a ride every time maintenance or repair is required).

Also, be sure to sign up for EPCnet:

http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp

This is a FREE service from Mercedes which gives you access to both parts manuals and repair procedures for all Mercedes vehicles. It will ask for a Credit Card when you sign up but you will NOT be billed anything - my understanding is it's to verify that you are indeed in North America. Search the forums if you have any questions. I was hesitant to put in my CC number but after research and signing up I can say this IS a Mercedes site and you will not be billed/charged for anything.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:13 PM

SL600
Originally Posted by vtvette
If you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions well you can absolutely work on your R230 (ABC system included). Strut replacement on a R230 is very straight forward and not that much different than any other car.

I have 102,000 miles on my 2005 SL55. I drive her 60+ miles a day 5 days a week not including weekend trips. I recently replaced all 4 ABC Accumulators (preventive maintenance) , rebuilt both front and rear valve blocks (preventive maintenance) and did a fluid flush. I did all the work in my home garage with common hand tools. To be fair I am a mechanic by trade (restore vintage race cars) but, I find the R230's to be quite easy to work on by modern standards.

The single best thing you can do for the ABC system is routinely flush the fluid every 20,000 or 30,000 miles. I do mine every 20,000 (every other oil change). Change your filter of course while you are at it. I have instructions in the link in my signature on how to flush your ABC fluid in your own garage with very common items available from Lowes/Home Depot. You don't even need to jack the car up!
I have a 2009 SL600 and i would like to do the ABC flush and filter change that you mentioned. Could you please e-mail me, dadetwiler@yahoo.com, your procedure. Thanks in advance for your time and help
Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 PM

2010 S63 Amg
I need to learn more about my ABC, (Active Body Control). I didn't know this system was so sensitive an potentionally expensive. I don't have any issues, other than I get an ABC malfuntion message when I crank up the car on the weekend. It sits in the garage Monday thru Friday, and I drive it on Saturday and Sunday. It drives perfectly, I just get the message when i crank it up, and there is a code 5256, right front strut moves although locking valve is closed. Code 5257, Left rear strut moves, although locking valve is closed. My Indy, checks the vehicle for leaks, but does not find any, and he clears the codes, but in a week or two, the message comes back. We flushed the system a year ago, with new filter, but did not do rodeo.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
5256 and 5257 are not valid codes, though the descriptions you gave are. I presume you have an '06 or older car. DO update your profile or identify the year and model in all of your future posts.

ABC struts vary in length as their hydraulic elements extend and contract. On early ABC-equipped cars each strut incorporates a complex sensor which essentially reports the length of the strut to the ABC controller. The faults you describe result when the "position" sensor detects that the length has changed despite the length controlling valve being closed.

I believe these faults of yours are typically accompanied by uncontrolled movements of the ABC suspension. Since this does seem to be the case in this instance and you have already serviced the hydraulic oil, I suggest you ignore the faults. The alternative might be a comprehensive evaluation of the strut position sensors and possibly a rebuild of both the front and rear controlling valves.

Finally, since you are local to me I recommend you consider using General Auto in Lilburn for your future service needs. Their hourly rate is just $75/hr. Send me a PM if you desire more information on G.A.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM

2010 S63 Amg
My 2010 S63, with 16000 orinal miles

Originally Posted by bobterry99
5256 and 5257 are not valid codes, though the descriptions you gave are. I presume you have an '06 or older car. DO update your profile or identify the year and model in all of your future posts.

ABC struts vary in length as their hydraulic elements extend and contract. On early ABC-equipped cars each strut incorporates a complex sensor which essentially reports the length of the strut to the ABC controller. The faults you describe result when the "position" sensor detects that the length has changed despite the length controlling valve being closed.

I believe these faults of yours are typically accompanied by uncontrolled movements of the ABC suspension. Since this does seem to be the case in this instance and you have already serviced the hydraulic oil, I suggest you ignore the faults. The alternative might be a comprehensive evaluation of the strut position sensors and possibly a rebuild of both the front and rear controlling valves.

Finally, since you are local to me I recommend you consider using General Auto in Lilburn for your future service needs. Their hourly rate is just $75/hr. Send me a PM if you desire more information on G.A.
Thanks for your info, I have a 2010 S63, with 16000, original miles. The car is mint. I flushed the ABC system when I first purchased the car, and continued to get ABC malfuntion message. Took it back to RBM, where I purchased the car, and they said, my rear valve block, needed to be replaced. Bought the part directly from Mercedes, and had it installed by my Independent mechanic, and no more ABC malfuntion messages for several months. Then around December of 2018, went out to get the car out of the garage, and there is the message. It only shows up when I crank up the car on the weekends, and never when I'm driving.I just hit ok on my steering wheel and it clears the message, so I don't have to look at it, while I'm driving. Took the car back to my Indy, he showed me the codes on a print out, and the cleared the codes, but a week later, when I went to get car out of the garage, there is the ABC malfuntion message. The car has been checked as well as you can inspect it, and I have no leaks that you can see. I saw a post from another member, that was getting one of the codes that I have been getting. He said he changed his filter to a 3 micron filter, did a rodeo to filter the fluid through the 3 micron filter, then he flushed his system with fresh Pentosin Ch11s, and put on a new 3 micron filter, and had no more messages.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by agharta56
...there is a code 5256, right front strut moves although locking valve is closed. Code 5257, Left rear strut moves....
Those are valid codes for your model year. And since you have the cost-reduced later version of ABC, your struts have no position sensors.

Possible causes of those codes you have are a faulty chassis level sensor or valve block at the associated wheel. Since one of the valve blocks is generally new, one would tend to discount that as a possibility unless your mechanic did not flush the old fluid prior to replacing it.

As an alternative to simply ignoring the fault message I would run two 15-minute Rodeo routines back-to-back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: ABC Problem solved