SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 sl500
ABC problem

I lifted up the front of my 2005 sl500 to check for a noise. I started up the car and everything was good. When I lowered the car now the ABC pump does not come on, I get the red light to check the ABC. Called dealer and they said if it does not reset I will need to tow it in to the dealership. There is nothing wrong with my lift I think the setting got screwed up when I lifted and started the car. Since I just bought the car I did not know this was a no no. Can someone please help me on how to get the ABC system reset. I will not be taking the car to the dealership if it will not reset but rather buy the strutmaster shocks and struts to remove this crap and rid myself of the problem.
Please help if possible.
Thank you
Harry
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 PM

2005 sl500
I let the car sit for a day and the car reset and works fine again. I want a reliable car so I plan on swapping out the ABC with strutmaster shocks.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G63
- H

Please review this thread. Very good info. Looks like anything off of a M113 non ABC engine will work in regards to a power steering pump replacement. So you can completly eliminate the ABC system. Keep in mind about sway bars! R230 chassis does not have a stabilizer or sway bars.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...-only-fit.html

Here are my concerns with this kit. Strutmasters will COMPLETELY remove ABC. Re-sale wise this is the first thing ANY SL R230 enthusiast or dealer buyer will be looking at this could either raise or lower the value of the vehicle depending on the buyer. Second is the ABC drive ability. Our SL's have zero body roll in the corners. When you replace the ABC system with regular shocks and springs you will have body roll and probably large amounts as this is a very heavy car and since there is no retro fit kit to put sway bars in this chassis vehicle it will be highly noticeable.

Any other questions or concerns you have my work E-Mail for a quicker response as I am not on the forums very often unless I have a odd ball problem with either of my vehicles.

- Scott Smith
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM

SL65
Originally Posted by rehberg
I let the car sit for a day and the car reset and works fine again. I want a reliable car so I plan on swapping out the ABC with strutmaster shocks.
The ABC system is the reason the car handles like it does, removing it will change the whole car. The abc system is pretty reliable,its costly to fix but i just take that as what it is, High performance suspension.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
Abc suspension

I also agree that the system is not perfect, but IF you want a magic carpet like ride with those 20 inch rims with a 25 in the rear and 30 in the front you better learn to live with it.

I can understand the relability issue, but as the air suspension in the S class, the abc system is THE thing that makes the SL such an awesome cruizer, and with a flick of the abc sport button it transforms from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde in an instant.

As previous posters here says, it will depreciate the car very much, and if you are THAT interested in an ordinary suspension you should NOT be bying an sl with abc in the first place.

My reason for buying this car was not to buy a racecar.
In such cars I can understand the reason to have an normal and reliable suspension system.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too.
That's the compromise, take it or leave it.
And for 99 % of the time you are cruizing right?