SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Red Battery Error: Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500 Sport Pkg, 2008 BMW X5 4.8L, 2011 Prius (my gas saver:-))
Red Battery Error: Visit Workshop

I was driving yesterday and my wife pushed a piece of a metal clamp that I had purchased from Home Depot under her passenger seat and doing so immediately illuminated the SRS light.

I have been reading up on it since yesterday and looked under the seat and it seemed like pushing the metal clamp under the seat caused a short in the wire. I could see a wire blackened out. I cleaned it up this evening and put electrical tape around it.

The next thing I did was to go to the trunk and removed the negative terminal of the main battery. I let it sit for 5 minutes and connected it back on.

Right after connecting the battery, I had two additional errors pop up:

1) Red Battery Error: Visit Workshop
2) ESP not available (cleared up after I went for a test drive)
3) SRS (stays on)

Now, I am stuck with two errors as opposed to one. SRS is still on and now I also have the Red Battery Error.

The battery is fairly new (3 months old) and was not an issues prior to my resetting it.

How can I clear up the battery code? Also, any ideas on clearing up the SRS codes?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G63
Paul:

Please review my last post on other thread.

Passenger seat is equipped with a child seat occupation mat or other wise known as a OCP mat. It is possible that the metal has damaged or popped out the connector. The SRS code will NOT clear itself by simply plugging it back in. Please perform quick test on vehicle control units and report back with what is registered in SRS module.

As for the ESP malfunction it is good for you to know when ever disruption of consumer electronics the steering angle sensor needs to be re-initialized either by the STAR diagnosis machine or by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock with engine running and vehicle in park.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500 Sport Pkg, 2008 BMW X5 4.8L, 2011 Prius (my gas saver:-))
UPDATE-

I took the car in to an indi shop and the codes clearly stated the issues to be with the passenger seat and the passenger restraint system. Since I had already cleaned up the wire and taped it up, the mechanic cleared up the SRS code and so far so good.

The battery RED error went away on it own after I started the car last night after not driving it for 3 days.

While I was at the mechanic, I also got the transmission flushed and the fluid changed.

It is running good now.

Thanks,

Paul