SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Parking Sensors problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Parking Sensors problem, need help!

It's okay when I'm driving, I hear nothing, but as soon as I hit a stop light my parking sensors start to show up on my dash and it stars beeping. If I'm at a stop light it would beep every 20 seconds or 30 seconds or something. But as soon as I drive it goes away. Any idea? And sometimes after the first beep "ABC visit workshop" will go on, i'm not sure if those two have anything to do with each other. But, when I turn off my parking sensors I hear nothing, and if I do it before I start driving when I start the car I never get ABC visit workshop lol. I hope someone knows the fix, or at least the problem..

Last edited by dsly408; 01-21-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 AM

SL500
I'm on lowering links and I have all brand new shocks ( if those two even have anything to do with the problem )
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
The system shuts off automatically at about 5 mph. Is the alarm coming from the front or the rear sensors? Is it possible there's something close enough to your front or rear bumper to trigger the proximity alarm when your car is stopped?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by pdjv
The system shuts off automatically at about 5 mph. Is the alarm coming from the front or the rear sensors? Is it possible there's something close enough to your front or rear bumper to trigger the proximity alarm when your car is stopped?
The system shuts off automatically at 5mph? How would that make sense if we're going less than 5mph as we're parking, wouldn't that totally defeat the purpose of parking sensors?

I really don't think so. I'm not sure but sometimes the left side of my parking sensor display will go all the way up, and the right none. And sometimes both will go up like 2 bars. It just really messes up when i'm at a stop light for some reason. I guess it might just be a fault in my sensors? Whatever it is, I just turn of parking sensors to ignore it, but I hope it's not a bigger a problem?

Also, has anyone have the problem where their ABC visit workship comes on randomly when they are at a complete stop/stop light? And it stays on until you restart your car?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
I should have said "the system shuts off automatically at speeds above 5 mph."

If there are no pedestrians or solid objects within three or so feet when the sensors activate you may have electronic gremlins.

If the ABC system is working correctly, there are no (obvious) leaks, the reservoir oil level is correct... an intermittent ABC error message could be a further sign of electronic gremlins.

Time to visit a pro and have it checked.