SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Thinking of getting an SL500/SL550, can you work on these cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting an SL500/SL550, can you work on these cars?

Just wondering, can you do any service work on these car yourself, like brakes etc?

I am coming from an E39 and E46 BMW and I've done practically everything on both my cars in regards to suspension work and scheduled maintenance etc, even threw a twinscrew supercharger in the e46.

Do any of you work on your own car?

Fran
Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
If you are mechanically inclined and can follow instructions (which obviously you are) these cars are very serviceable. You have the added benefit of familiarity with German cars and the way they do things as well.

I do all my own maintenance on my 2005 SL55. I find it quite easy to work on for the most part. At this point I've addressed most of the common R230 issues/maintenance items like:

Remove/Rebuild ABC Valve Blocks (both front and rear)
Replace all 4 ABC Accumulators (preventive maintenance @ 100,000 miles)
Flush ABC fluid every 20,000 miles
Oil Changes
Diff fluid
Fuel Filter
Driveshaft flex disks
Front suspension bushings (all)
Engine Mounts
Spark Plugs (there are 16), wires, filters, etc
Replace plastic shifter pawl with aluminum unit
Pads/Rotors front and rear

Haven't purchased what I would consider any special tools to do any of the work so far (I am a mechanic by trade but have not used any exotic/special tools on the R230 thus far). Nothing you wouldn't use on any other modern German car

I did buy a Star Diagnostic unit shorty after I bought the car but have yet to need it.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Brian.

I have a line on a low mile (21k) 2003 SL500. I've read of some issues with the early model year but I'm feeling this is a good deal, one owner older couple garage queen...
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by fmzip
I've read of some issues with the early model year...
If this '03 car you are looking at was made prior to late '02 (November?) it will not be at risk to have a loose fuel tank baffle according to user Malcolm, a.k.a. "television". Other than the baffle I can't think of any issues that are known to be exclusive to or more prevalent in an early car that would not have been addressed in the course of normal service.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rod_84
If this '03 car you are looking at was made prior to late '02 (November?) it will not be at risk to have a loose fuel tank baffle according to user Malcolm, a.k.a. "television". Other than the baffle I can't think of any issues that are known to be exclusive to or more prevalent in an early car that would not have been addressed in the course of normal service.
Yep baffle is a good point. I would imagine at this point it's either been repaired or, won't be a problem but it's worth mentioning.

The baffle problem was a baffle in the gas tank that would come loose on some 2003 SL's. Best description I've heard is it sounds like a gong behind you when you brake. It's worth asking the owner if they ever had this issue.

Another thing to address is the shift lever pawl. It's a plastic lock out lever in the shift lever that releases the shifter when you press the brake and allows you to move the shifter out of Park. They were made of cheap plastic and are prone to breaking. There is an aluminum replacement sold on Ebay. I STRONGLY suggest you search the forum for more info and change it out as soon as you buy the car. They can fail without notice and it's a complete nightmare to replace once it breaks. I replaced the one in my 2005 as a precaution even though that year is not supposed to have the issue. It took an hour or two. There are excellent write up's on how to replace it if you search.

Change you ABC fluid! I strongly recommend changing it out every 20,000 miles (every other oil change). See the post in my sig for a fast, easy way to change out the fluid. This is cheap insurance against potentially expensive ABC issues in the future.