SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Top stuck halfway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sl500
Top stuck halfway

Today, as I was putting my top up, it stopped a little before it finished raising. It wouldn't go up or down. I backed out of the garage to get a better look at it. My husband said that it stopped working because i put it into reverse before the raising process finished. However, I couldn't get it to move before I put it into reverse. I checked to make sure the think in the back was latched. We also tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. No luck. Any suggestions? Of course, the dealership wants me to bring it in. We are trying to avoid that. Also, my convenience features are tempermental in the mornings. I have to re crank my car to get those to work. Any suggestions????
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
If the roof controller does not receive confirmation that the side flaps are fully extended, then it will stop motion as described on page 21 of this training document from M-B.

A flap problem which may relate to yours is described here.

Finally, your husband is incorrect about reverse gear affecting the operation of the roof.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM

mercedes sl500
Thank you so much for those links! I searched yesterday, but just couldn't find the right posts. I knew there had to be something! After reading this, I checked my flaps and they look ok. I am wondering if it has something to do with the roll bar. I have noticed that it has gotten very slow lately. Just before it lowers completely, it has a vibration. The top stopped after it had been latched in the front. However, the back never lowered after the roll bar stopped completely. I was never able to reset the roll bar. Anyway, I sent TCHRSBNZ off on the rollback this morning. My fan on my AC has stopped working as well. My guess is that she's going to cost a fortune to fix!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 PM

SL500
I had a similar problem once. Top would not operate in either direction. I opened the trunk and removed the trunk mat. Underneath is the pump for convertible top operation. There is a hex key slot. Insert the correct sized hex and bleed. Be very careful when doing this as the top will come down! Make sure all limbs and other objects are completely out of the path of the top and try to bleed slowly. I got it back down and ran the top through several open and close functions. Worked just fine ever since. I guess they get moody sometimes. My car's name is 'Sadie' for a reason