SL/R230: Changing Rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL550
Changing Rides

Well,
Even though the SL (2009 SL550 - 54K miles) is still under warranty until Jan 2016, I keep having nagging issues with it. It is my daily driver, and I am considering moving on. I am probably going to stay in the MB family, and am considering the following:

2012 SLK55 (CPO) - 16K miles and warrantied 3 years from date of purchase
2014 E350 Coupe (New)

I am really split down the middle on which way to go, has anyone had experiences with either (good or bad).

Thanks for the advice

Wes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by uvavi8r
...I keep having nagging issues with it.
Wes, I suggest that you consider giving to this forum what you are asking it to provide to you: ownership experience and what those nagging issues you had with your SL. As far as I'm concerned R230 production ended in mid-2008 -- so it won't be me -- but someone may be thinking of buying an '09 SL and could find your input informative.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL550
No problem…

Bought the car Dec 31,2012 (CPO), bought the MB extended warranty, so I am good until Feb 27, 2016.

Since owning the car it has been back in for:

I should qualify that I am fairly knowledgable WRT vehicles as I have built quite a few and am a pilot by profession. I understand the value of providing the best information to your mechanics and troubleshooters as possible, so I try to be as reasonable as possible when I take my car in.

I fully understand the technology that goes into these cars and went into this with my eyes wide open…and honestly, I still love the car. I just can't take it into the shop once a month to get things checked out. My dealership has been extremely accommodating in helping me with these issues, I just feel there is something major about to break.

The good news is that I am about to travel for work until the end of the month, so I will have some time to think about the next step…and honestly, one of them is to hold onto the car until I am nearer to the end of the warranty. MB will always have great cars they are willing to sell me…

Hope this helps and thanks for the input.

Wes
            Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
            2007 SL550
            Your experience reinforces a view I've had on the R230 for many years. Some cars are great, hardly an issues, and give years of trouble free service. And some cars just have issue after issue. This seems the case with the R230 more so than other models. The trick is finding the gems. I look for full service histories that show regular, routine maintainence and very few one-off fixes of other problems. It's still a crapshoot in finding the right example. My current SL550 is great, works perfectly, and no issues.

To the OP, I've owned many Mercedes and other models. No offense to Mercedes, but they've fallen behind in recent years. COMAND systems until just last year are an embarassment. Switchgear is cheap and lacks precision compared to other brands. I'd suggest you check out the new BMW 3 series (the F30). Great cars, I own 2.