SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: PLEASE HELP ME!!! ESP/ABC/ABS TRANS PROBLEMS..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP ME!!! ESP/ABC/ABS TRANS PROBLEMS..

okay... here we go....
It all started while i was driving to work.
A little beeping noise came with "speedtronic Drive to workshop" light came on the dash. The car went into the limp mode ( assuming that's what it;s called...the car took a long time to get to a certain speed (around 35mph) and it would be okay. I came to work, let the car sit for a few hours, then when i started back up everything went away and the car ran fine so i thought it was an isolated problem. Well the next day when i got back in to go to work, the car flashed ESP & ABC malfunction light and now the car won't go above 2nd gear and the steering is very stiff. Also, all the convenient features are off (including parking sensor).
I haven't done anything yet. I figured I will gather all the facts and possible remedies before i jump into fixing it.
Please help me..... Thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Operation of your vehicle's speed sensitive steering, ABC, transmission, and ESP are affected, and components common to all of these systems are the four wheel speed sensors. Since these can be tested easily with a basic electronic multimeter, I would check these first. There is a caveat, however.

From your post it seems that the problems you are having are intermittent. If this is the case, then at the time you test the faulty senosr may happen to be functioning properly and will not be determined.

A faulty wheel speed sensor would not account for loss of convenience features, naturally.

Alternatively, I would take the car to an independent shop which is equipped with Mercedes' Star Diagnosis System (SDS) and request that they run a "Quick Test". This will report all fault codes stored in the vehicle's various control systems, and these codes should provide a general or specific cause of your problems. If a wheel speed sensor has malfunctioned at some time in the past, a code will identify the specific sensor.

Finally, I suggest you purchase an SDS of your own. One can be had for as little as $300 or so from eBay and alibaba.com.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod_84
Operation of your vehicle's speed sensitive steering, ABC, transmission, and ESP are affected, and components common to all of these systems are the four wheel speed sensors. Since these can be tested easily with a basic electronic multimeter, I would check these first. There is a caveat, however.

From your post it seems that the problems you are having are intermittent. If this is the case, then at the time you test the faulty senosr may happen to be functioning properly and will not be determined.

A faulty wheel speed sensor would not account for loss of convenience features, naturally.

Alternatively, I would take the car to an independent shop which is equipped with Mercedes' Star Diagnosis System (SDS) and request that they run a "Quick Test". This will report all fault codes stored in the vehicle's various control systems, and these codes should provide a general or specific cause of your problems. If a wheel speed sensor has malfunctioned at some time in the past, a code will identify the specific sensor.

Finally, I suggest you purchase an SDS of your own. One can be had for as little as $300 or so from eBay and alibaba.com.
Thank u so much for that info. The problem is definitely intermittent cuz the problem went away magically for a few days and this morning it came back on. Since I have another car I can use, I will buy SDS and diagnose myself first.