SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Star diagnostic computer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Star diagnostic computer

I've been looking on Ebay for Star diagnostic units and the prices seem to be all over the map. Is there anything I need to look out for? I really don't need the laptop but I see most come with a hard drive. Does the software need to be on it's own hard drive or can it be put on my existing drive if I have room. Many of them don't list the ABC system but I assume that they will get into that part of the diagnostics. Any experience will be helpfull or if there's a link on here somewhere will be great too.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500 R230
Hi, I own a 2002 SL500 that had various issues ( most now sorted) so needed a good diagnostic. I tried the carsoft versions but they were not in depth enough to give enough information. I ended up buying a STAR C3 complete with latest software and laptop. You can get the STAR cheaper without laptop but you need to connect directly into a RS232 port without using an interface - this is why I went for the complete system with laptop. The STAR system is great - It has everything the dealer has access to inc ABC etc. Clear and read codes accurately, workshop manuals, pictures, part numbers, exact part location on car. Worth it's weight in gold and saved me a fortune n dealer costs. Hope this helps. I'm in the UK and there were several systems on eBay, all the best, Ian
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by next2pool
I've been looking on Ebay for Star diagnostic units and the prices seem to be all over the map. Is there anything I need to look out for?
Yes, and there's really no need to spend more than $300-$400.

Is there anything I need to look out for?
To minimize setup difficulties I recommend purchasing a kit which includes an internal hard drive with all software pre-installed. It will look like the attached photo. Someone on another forum recommended sticking with the older C3 multiplexer, and this seems reasonable to me.

I would purchase the necessary laptop from eBay. If you select one that does not include the hard drive, they are cheap. It's probably worth paying a bit extra and getting a Dell 6XX, as it's my experience that the software is a bit slow on an old IBM. If you end up with an IBM-compatible hard drive, consider purchasing a T23 ThinkPad, because the T30 models are notorious for memory failures.

In my experience I installed the Chinese-supplied hard drive into a T30 laptop and everything worked precisely as advertised with nothing to configure or setup at all. The T30 soon developed the memory problem, and I switched to a T23.

Apart from eBay there are many sellers of Star Diagnosis on alibaba.com.
Attached Thumbnails Star diagnostic computer-sds.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rod_84

To minimize setup difficulties I recommend purchasing a kit which includes an internal hard drive with all software pre-installed. It will look like the attached photo. Someone on another forum recommended sticking with the older C3 multiplexer, and this seems reasonable to me.

I would purchase the necessary laptop from eBay. If you select one that does not include the hard drive, they are cheap. It's probably worth paying a bit extra and getting a Dell 6XX, as it's my experience that the software is a bit slow on an old IBM. If you end up with an IBM-compatible hard drive, consider purchasing a T23 ThinkPad, because the T30 models are notorious for memory failures.

In my experience I installed the Chinese-supplied hard drive into a T30 laptop and everything worked precisely as advertised with nothing to configure or setup at all. The T30 soon developed the memory problem, and I switched to a T23.

Thank you!!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ford pinto

can you list the seller or item #. PM if necessary. Looking for something for my 08 E63 AMG and wifes 06 CLS500.

I have everything you can think of for my 5 bimmers for under $100 spent. Guess its the mercedes tax lol. Anywhere else I can get more info. on bimmerforums and others they have entire sections dedicated to DIY diagnostic software. Hoping to find the same for Mercedes as Im a huge DIY and pains me to get messages reset at dealer after repair.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
I purchased a star 'c3'. / part d multiplexer based system from an alibaba site vendor a few months back. About $300 iirc.
Went with the part d/wired multiplexer as I read setup and reliability of the sdconnect clones is iffy. External HDD, using VMware based virtual machine on a win7 based system, rs232 to USB adapter.

It was a major pita to setup and get working, but once done operates flawlessly. I have left this laptop dedicated for the star system from then on to avoid problems.
If you have or are willing to buy one of the internal drive setups with matching laptop (eg t30 or d630) it will save some hassle - but once properly setup will work fine on other laptops as well.

It paid for itself in a week as I had an srs code that had to be read to find problem, then cleared once I fixed it. Have since used it for some developer mode tweaks and to read a fluke ABC code in history.
Awesome investment for the DIYer.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C250 CDI
Just wondering. What does the Star Diagnostic section of the tool do that a $30 Ebay UBD2 Bluetooth adapter won't do? I can get DTC info and can cancel codes, etc.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by fnerks; 08-12-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by fnerks
What does the Star Diagnostic section of the tool do that a $30 Ebay UBD2 Bluetooth adapter won't do?
I don't know what this $30 adpater will do, but reading and erasing diagnostic codes represents a small fraction of SDS's capabilities.

For every code SDS details troubleshooting procedures for resolving the cause. It allows you to evaluate sensors and other control inputs by displaying their values, and it allows you to evaluate controller outputs by providing manual control of actuators. It has built-in diagnostic routines for testing suspension components and other systems. It allows you to modify the functionality of your car by changing controller settings.

Originally Posted by amgthriller
can you list the seller or item #.
I purchased my Star Diagnosis from eBay six years ago, and the seller is no longer on eBay. You might try sending a PM to moderator "awiner" and see if he has a suggestion.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12

Interesting... I'm half tempted to pick one up and migrate the drive to a VM. This way you could run it on any hardware you like.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM

I don't know what this $30 adpater will do, but reading and erasing diagnostic codes represents a small fraction of SDS's capabilities.

For every code SDS details troubleshooting procedures for resolving the cause. It allows you to evaluate sensors and other control inputs by displaying their values, and it allows you to evaluate controller outputs by providing manual control of actuators. It has built-in diagnostic routines for testing suspension components and other systems. It allows you to modify the functionality of your car by changing controller settings.

I purchased my Star Diagnosis from eBay six years ago, and the seller is no longer on eBay. You might try sending a PM to moderator "awiner" and see if he has a suggestion.
I just got mine last week from Alibaba. It was $330 and got it in a week. I spent all weekend experimenting. I found about 20 stored codes and reset them to see if they recurr. Most were due to low battery voltage sometime in the past. I also ran the suspension "rodeo" test. Next I want to fine tune the individual wheel height settings per some other posts here. I's an amazing tool.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rob CL
Interesting... I'm half tempted to pick one up and migrate the drive to a VM. This way you could run it on any hardware you like.
I opted for the external hard drive and as you say, I can run it as a virtual machine on any computer.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
External hard drive is a much more versatile solution, and it was my initial choice. If laptop broke, you could just plug it into another machine.

Only downside is it's a lot slower than running it from disk, because of VMWare overhead.

Now I have it loaded on a machine-specific hard drive which I have installed in the machine. Much faster.

If you use it 2 or 3 times a year, a VM solution is perfectly fine. I did that for a few years myself.

If you use it quite a bit (with 3 MB's in the house hold, I use it all the time) then go machine-specific hard drive.

Also remember the external hard drive hangs off the machine and can be damaged as you move the laptop around. If you pick up the laptop, the USB drive unplugs, then it will fall to the ground and you're cooked.

Internal is so much nicer because now I just have the multiplexer and laptop to carry to the car. Nothing to unplug or fall off.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bha
External hard drive is a much more versatile solution, and it was my initial choice. If laptop broke, you could just plug it into another machine.

Only downside is it's a lot slower than running it from disk, because of VMWare overhead.

Now I have it loaded on a machine-specific hard drive which I have installed in the machine. Much faster.

If you use it 2 or 3 times a year, a VM solution is perfectly fine. I did that for a few years myself.

If you use it quite a bit (with 3 MB's in the house hold, I use it all the time) then go machine-specific hard drive.

Also remember the external hard drive hangs off the machine and can be damaged as you move the laptop around. If you pick up the laptop, the USB drive unplugs, then it will fall to the ground and you're cooked.

Internal is so much nicer because now I just have the multiplexer and laptop to carry to the car. Nothing to unplug or fall off.
Solid state my friend. Buy a Kingston or better, and never look back!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
Solid state my friend. Buy a Kingston or better, and never look back!
Actually, I did.

When I said 'hard drive' I actually meant SSD.

With something like WIS, it accesses the hard drive quite a bit.. the hard drive seems to be the slowest part of the system.. it's all disk reads/writes with not much thinking (ram/processor usage).

Would definitely recommend an SSD. I think mine was 80GB and WIS fit on it just fine. SSD that small are relatively cheap so just get a small one and run WIS with it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info! I picked mine up today.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 AM

All of a sudden I'm having trouble connecting the C3 star. My laptop does not have a serial connector so I use a USB adapter. The first time I used it, everything was fine and I was able to connect to all of the control modules. Now I get a communication error or "no dongle" message. I suspect I have a setting issue with the com port but so far I can't find a solution. Anyone here gone through that before or have suggestions?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Are you plugging the USB/SER adapter into the same USB port on the host PC?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM

I am now. I realized about 2 in the morning that I needed to check the ports on both the host and virtual machine and was sure that would do it, but no luck. Great catch but I have something else wrong somewhere. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 PM

2014 SL550
Star diagnostics

Is there a link for the manual for Star C3 diagnostics?

Last edited by sifis; 09-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 AM
NoC

S8, SL, and many many others
The new C4 can connect wireless. It's very easy to use. I just bought one from ebay 3 months ago. PM me if you want the seller.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 AM

2014 SL550
C4

Originally Posted by NoC
The new C4 can connect wireless. It's very easy to use. I just bought one from ebay 3 months ago. PM me if you want the seller.
Please email me the seller information.
What is wireless?
From the laptop to the multiplexer?
I saw some C4 systems with a cable from the laptop to the multiplexer.
Thank you.

Last edited by sifis; 09-08-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:02 PM

I am now. I realized about 2 in the morning that I needed to check the ports on both the host and virtual machine and was sure that would do it, but no luck. Great catch but I have something else wrong somewhere. Thanks!
I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, but not knowing how many "registered" COMs you have, this may help: http://blog.cognitioninfotech.com/20...-com-port.html

It may be that the assigned port is beyond the valid range the program will see. -Again, just a guess.

As with any registry editing, be sure to make a backup prior.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550

I would say if it was working before, it's definitely com ports.

There is a very specific set of COM ports you must use for it to work. For example you need DAS to be looking at COMx within the VM session, then VMware needs to redirect that to COMx which is a 'physical' serial port on your machine.

Get either of these settings wrong, and things won't work. I believe the serial port speed and baud rate/parity plays a part too.

I looked around and finally found a post with the settings when mine wouldn't work. There is also some kind of test program in your DAS image (I think it's called CAESAR) that will tell you if the com ports are wrong. It isnt' too helpful in fixing things, but it will tell you if DAS can communicate with the multiplexer or not.

Also you have the ignition in the II position right? (I being accessory, II being run, III being start). All the lights on your dash should be on, and if you were to turn the key one more notch, the car would start. It needs to be there or DAS won't work properly. I don't believe the C3 is powered up by OBDII unless the car is in II or III position.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
NoC,

Can you supply more info about the C4 unit you bought? e.g., does it do the ABC rodeo?, Does it have the 'developer' option, etc. etc.? THANKS for posting your results, and I sent you a PM about the source.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
DAS/Xentry does all of the stuff you are listing. DAS/Xentry is the software on your laptop hard drive.

Then you have a multiplexer which connects the laptop to the car. That comes in C3 (wired) and C4 (wireless) models.

The only difference is that the C4 has an internal rechargeable battery and has a wifi antenna built in. So you plug it into the OBDII port in your car, set it on the seat, and you're done. Then go back into your house or wherever is comfortable with your laptop, connect the C4 to your laptop (using wifi) and diagnose your car.

It removes the need for you to stand at the car, hanging a wire through the window, and having a bunch of clunky wires and adapters around. You just plug the C4 into the car and walk away.

I do it a different way. My laptop has Teamviewer installed, so I grab the laptop/C3 rig (it all stays permanently connected together as I only use it for DAS and keep it in the garage at all times). I go out to the car, plug it all in, and sit it all on the drivers seat.

Then I go inside and fire up Teamviewer on my laptop (or even my tablet!) and run the software remotely. A 'poor mans C4' I guess

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Star diagnostic computer