SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: TOP WON'T GO UP, CAN I MANUALLY RAISE it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
TOP WON'T GO UP, CAN I MANUALLY RAISE it?

Dropped my top today and noticed oil on the rear deck and luggage area. Cleaned it (not knowing where it came from) and went about my business. Just got home and the top was barely able to close. I dropped the top again to see if it was a one time occurrence and now it tries but will not go back up (trunk won't even open for top to come out). Not in the mood for a $2k bill right now from the dealership; so is there anyway for me to manually raise the top so I can still dive the car?

TIA...
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL600 V12TT
Yes...but one concern

This happened to me recently...but the trunk did partially open. I called my private mechanic (who specializes in Mercedes only) and told me that it is a two man job (one can be a strong woman). Anyway, here goes-

1. Start car...have your friend press down switch to raise top. You should stand where the trunk opens and listen for the actuator to click. You might even hear the motor to the pumps make a quiet whining noise...that's a good thing. If you hear that- assist the trunk lid in opening the best you can with your hands. Open as far as you can. If you can get past this step you might be home free. Then-

2. Turn the car off. Reason for this is the pumps that operate the mechanisms for the Top are primed and will merely work against you. WAIT 3 to 5 minutes for pressure to ease from the pumps. Then-

3. Have your friend on other side of car where each of you will lift the top out of the trunk. This will take a bit of muscle...but you will notice that the top will feel like it's on rails as it comes up and out to eventually meet the windshield top.

4. This is a bit of trial n error right here- but, from this point, you want the car to do as much of the rest of the work on it's own...because you need for things to fully 'latch' (i.e. top latching to the windshield and back lip of trunk latching to boot). Start your car again - have your friend resume pressing the top switch down. You might need to help things along if top was not fully seated to the windshield (then again, the mechanisms might do the rest of the closing process on it's own...if so- you're golden!). With engine running and your friend pushing the button- listen for the latch mechanism where top meets the windshield. If you don't hear this- it's possible that the trunk lid sensor is not actuated (these cars are full of sensors that unless each sensor-condition is satisfied will not let the next process happen) Go to the trunk lid and make sure it is raised COMPLETELY- friend never letting up on the button...keep your friend pushing the button. Again, listen for the latch mechanism. If the latch works- then, from that point, the trunk lid should operate on its own. If not, then-

5. Turn the motor off- and wait for the pumps to bleed pressure again. At the trunk lid you will see the leather flaps that need manually folding down against the inside of the lid. Then you and your friend on each side will need to muscle the lid down to meet the boot. It will take a bit of time to do this step cuz air is bleeding out the pumps while you are doing this....so don't be too harsh with it. Done....with caveat-

If the top did not latch properly to the windshield your car is not safe to drive at speed. But at least it will be safe from the elements when parked.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I will check back shortly.

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by SL600BEEEEEAST!; 09-13-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME TO TRY THIS!

Originally Posted by SL600BEEEEEAST!
This happened to me recently...but the trunk did partially open. I called my private mechanic (who specializes in Mercedes only) and told me that it is a two man job (one can be a strong woman). Anyway, here goes-

1. Start car...have your friend press down switch to raise top. You should stand where the trunk opens and listen for the actuator to click. You might even hear the motor to the pumps make a quiet whining noise...that's a good thing. If you hear that- assist the trunk lid in opening the best you can with your hands. Open as far as you can. If you can get past this step you might be home free. Then-

2. Turn the car off. Reason for this is the pumps that operate the mechanisms for the Top are primed and will merely work against you. WAIT 3 to 5 minutes for pressure to ease from the pumps. Then-

3. Have your friend on other side of car where each of you will lift the top out of the trunk. This will take a bit of muscle...but you will notice that the top will feel like it's on rails as it comes up and out to eventually meet the windshield top.

4. This is a bit of trial n error right here- but, from this point, you want the car to do as much of the rest of the work on it's own...because you need for things to fully 'latch' (i.e. top latching to the windshield and back lip of trunk latching to boot). Start your car again - have your friend resume pressing the top switch down. You might need to help things along if top was not fully seated to the windshield (then again, the mechanisms might do the rest of the closing process on it's own...if so- you're golden!). With engine running and your friend pushing the button- listen for the latch mechanism where top meets the windshield. If you don't hear this- it's possible that the trunk lid sensor is not actuated (these cars are full of sensors that unless each sensor-condition is satisfied will not let the next process happen) Go to the trunk lid and make sure it is raised COMPLETELY- friend never letting up on the button...keep your friend pushing the button. Again, listen for the latch mechanism. If the latch works- then, from that point, the trunk lid should operate on its own. If not, then-

5. Turn the motor off- and wait for the pumps to bleed pressure again. At the trunk lid you will see the leather flaps that need manually folding down against the inside of the lid. Then you and your friend on each side will need to muscle the lid down to meet the boot. It will take a bit of time to do this step cuz air is bleeding out the pumps while you are doing this....so don't be too harsh with it. Done....with caveat-

If the top did not latch properly to the windshield your car is not safe to drive at speed. But at least it will be safe from the elements when parked.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I will check back shortly.

Regards,
Tom
Thanks so much for taking the time out I appreciate it. My trunk is partially open so I hope this works. I'll let you know how I make out.

Oh and by the way, what was the problem? Was it expensive to fix?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL600 V12TT
In my case, it was not expensive cuz my wife overstuffed the trunk with the top down and tried too hard to close the lid causing some fitment/sensor to be out of whack...easy fix