SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Top Down - What is the little hinging cover called?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 01:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
hinge flap

Originally Posted by johnkocak1
I would like to buy 2 pc please mine broke.
Hi, I also want to buy 2 pieces of hinge flap

. Can you sell this to me? How much is it?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:59 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
hinge flap

Originally Posted by carguyshu
if you have any more i'd take a set
I also want to buy these hinge flap 2 pieces. How is this possible?

Old 11-16-2020, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Red face

Originally Posted by Ted Schrecker
Should probably have quoted your message in my reply. Do you have contact details for this German supplier?
Eh, sorry for this ultra late reaction Ted, do you still want to find the German guy (I read somewehere, perhaps in this very thread, he is asking €480 for a set)?
Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 sl 550
Top problem

Hi I have the piece with the spring on it but the piece it snaps on to has the anchor point broke do u also make that piece thank you for your thoughts

Originally Posted by Startech
I wanted to give Dudeman a huge thank you for the posted zip file and his idea for this repair. I found a local 3D printer service and had 6 of these made. We were not sure if there was a difference between right and left, so they also made 3 mirrored hinges. Turns out we could not tell the difference, so one size fits all. I had some extras made in case I broke them during installation. Turns out these things are very tough. The hardest part was getting the spring wound. I used a spring hook and was able to do it on my second try. I am keeping one as a spare and will sell the remaining 4 for $20.00 shipped each. I will trust the buyer to mail me a check as I don't use paypal ever. Here are some pics...
Old 11-17-2020, 12:48 PM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
hinge flap

Originally Posted by Winepros1
Hi I have the piece with the spring on it but the piece it snaps on to has the anchor point broke do u also make that piece thank you for your thoughts
I found where you can buy this part (hinge flap23069009417F08),

but not separately, but assembled. See screenshots, there is an address.
But for me this is unacceptable, so I only need 2 pieces of hinge flap.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Originally Posted by Winepros1
Are you talking about the three hinge points on the panel (as opposed to the flap itself)? I am going to have some repair pieces printed out of nylon. You would cut off the three existing mounts and bond this repair piece to the panel. They will work with the OE flap and should be a relatively permanent fix. Should be less than $10 if I have one printed along with mine.

3D printed replacement piece to be bonded to panel. Production part will be black nylon printing on an industrial powder bed printer.

Old hinge points are cut here to make room for the replacement piece.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:13 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
Are you talking about the three hinge points on the panel (as opposed to the flap itself)? I am going to have some repair pieces printed out of nylon. You would cut off the three existing mounts and bond this repair piece to the panel. They will work with the OE flap and should be a relatively permanent fix. Should be less than $10 if I have one printed along with mine.

3D printed replacement piece to be bonded to panel. Production part will be black nylon printing on an industrial powder bed printer.

Old hinge points are cut here to make room for the replacement piece.

I'm not good at English, and I can't figure out which pieces you can sell me. I only need these pieces (left and right) with hinges and fasteners as in the photo. Please explain exactly your proposal.
Send me a private message please.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Originally Posted by foxifox

I'm not good at English, and I can't figure out which pieces you can sell me. I only need these pieces (left and right) with hinges and fasteners as in the photo. Please explain exactly your proposal.
Send me a private message please.
It looks like you need the actual flaps. What happens is that the part of the hinge on the large panel cracks and the flaps go flying in the wind. The part I showed is just a repair piece for the larger panel for cases where you see the damage in time or get lucky and find the flap when it breaks off. I am working on a couple of designs to replace the flap itself. The lower cost design would be a one piece plastic flap to be used without covering. The other design would be two piece like the original to allow it to be covered in MB-Tex or leather. I will let you know when I have something complete.
The following users liked this post:
foxifox (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:04 PM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
It looks like you need the actual flaps. What happens is that the part of the hinge on the large panel cracks and the flaps go flying in the wind. The part I showed is just a repair piece for the larger panel for cases where you see the damage in time or get lucky and find the flap when it breaks off. I am working on a couple of designs to replace the flap itself. The lower cost design would be a one piece plastic flap to be used without covering. The other design would be two piece like the original to allow it to be covered in MB-Tex or leather. I will let you know when I have something complete.
Thanks! I am patiently waiting. :-)
Old 12-06-2020, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230 55
Simple and easy

they are available in any colors.
price is good.
watch the YouTube video and below in the description is the link to buy

Old 12-06-2020, 06:19 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Originally Posted by Tritons288

price is good.

Thanks. All clear. Great job done. I followed the links, but did not understand everything. How many caps are there, one or two? What does the back cover look like? Is it sold with the bottom or is it all separately? I need the right and left sides. What is the price for everything together? Please explain in detail.
Warm regards.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:43 AM

R230 55
Hello text me what’s app please 004915116583485

Originally Posted by foxifox
Thanks. All clear. Great job done. I followed the links, but did not understand everything. How many caps are there, one or two? What does the back cover look like? Is it sold with the bottom or is it all separately? I need the right and left sides. What is the price for everything together? Please explain in detail.
Warm regards.
text von me please on what’s app 004915116583485
Old 05-04-2021, 12:04 AM

2005 SL500
Are you still making these and selling them? If so let me know. I would like a left and a right. One flap has broken off the other is still attached, but plan to replace both. Thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SL 550 Silver Arrow, 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Tritons288

price is good.

I'd like to buy 2 of these. Please send me ordering instructions and the cost.
Thanks,
Keith Colwell
2009 SL550
Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 PM

2004 MB SL500
Originally Posted by Dudeman
The hinge on mine broke as well, but not on the flap itself, the little hinge that's part of the deck.

Since I have a 3D printer, I printed a new piece for mine, and I glued it in place. Just as strong as the original.

If someone has access to a 3D printer and wants the 3D model, I can post that too.
Hi there! oldmenscar here. Thank you for your post. I just saw it and today is July26, 2021. My son just bought a brand new updated 3D printer for him and for family use(6) for anything fun and needed like my MB 2004 SL500 with amg package I guess, maybe a few things like the front grill bumper and wheels. Anyways as many of very fortunate of us that the convertible flappers are broken, mine came like that when I bought it a little over a year. I was never told about that by the previous owner but found out a few days later when I was cleaning meticulously the entire car and trying to get familiarize with her(Bryanna). After my second sons’ name Bryan, he is my miracle baby now 33 years old. The good thing is that at least the car still had the original flappers hanging by a thread, I don’t know how they did not fly away on the turnpike driving with the top down. Now, back to the very short story made into the verrrrry long story. I’ve tried different ways to rebuild the flappers which it would of been very successful if I would made the 3 tubes where the rod and 2 springs of the hinges go be perfectly straight but I did not, because I was not paying attention to that which it is the second most important part to make the new hinges perfect to last a life time.

My asking is to someone that has a good file design of the flappers hinges to share it with me, so I can build them in my sons’ new 3D printer and see if it will work perfectly better than new(I’m a very annal guy). If it works out I will share the good or bad news with real pictures of course. Thank you all.
oh! I just had my engine and transmission mounts replaced by the dealer and the car drives amazing.😃
I also need the front and back ABC accumulators replaced, which I will do myself with my 2 sons. They know and like working on cars and motorcycles to fix and to upgrade new gadgets. Now, for everyone to know if they did not before like myself. There is a “flex disk” between the drive shaft and the rear diff that is a very important component that must be replaced every few years to prevent big issues and expensive unnecessary repairs. I will be replacing that myself soon too. I investigated how to on you tube, and it seems simple and doable to be done at home. I already bought the OEM part at the dealer for about $300 including taxes(CA).
Man! This became an entire life story. I hope you guys enjoy it and please leave honest comments that I’m not too sensitive to get hurt, but I do get even with those that are, too mean!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:28 PM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by Oldmenscar
My asking is to someone that has a good file design of the flappers hinges to share it with me, so I can build them in my sons’ new 3D printer and see if it will work perfectly better than new(I’m a very annal guy). If it works out I will share the good or bad news with real pictures of course. Thank you all.
I posted the design on this thread. Look at Post #8 above.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:55 PM

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
Guys, I just took the easy way out and glued some bristle strips on it..! Check it out!

Old 12-11-2022, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 R230 sl550
My experience with the hinge breaking.

If you look at the flap connected to the trunk. There is a small trim rubber bumper on the front of it (about 1" square). This is supposed to rest on the body trim that connects to this small flap when the lid is closed with the convertable top down. The rubber trim split on its leading edge. Can hardly notice it. But it catches on the body part and distorts it just enough to break the hinges.

Didn't notice this until i ordered a set of 3D printed hinges and repaired the flap. Only happened when opening and closing the trunk with the top down.

Anyone know where to order the little 1" square bumper.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL500 & 2021 Jeep Willys Gladiator
Dudeman. If I may make a suggestion. The flat part that you bond to the panel, I recommend that you make that at least 1". I have a set of those and there is less than 1/2" and could use way more area for greater strength.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:22 PM

SL 300
Hi Dudeman, could you please send me the file for the 3D printer, thanks a lot
Are the pieces equal for the right and left side?
guenterkoelbl@t-online.de