SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Head lights Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 R230
Head lights Failure

Hi All I am new to the site. Said I would never buy another Merc after the last 1 ML430 but could not help myself. I have owned this SL500 for the past 3 years and have just about finished paying the mortgage off that it has taken to keep it on the road lol... Anyways this may sound strange BUT...

Just had passenger side headlight failure message and also left side fog light failure message. Happened together. Fuses are ok. Bulb is blown on Right Fog light I can see that. I have stripped front end and removed headlight ( fantastic instructions else where on the site - Thanks ), changed ballast, still no go. I have ordered 2 new igniters ( going to replace both and keep the old as spare) which I hope will fix it.

However when testing the lights, I notice that I can not get any of the inside head lamps to come on at all. The side light bulb lights up , but inside that light there are also a halogen bulbs..what does they do and how on earth do you get them to come on. I have never looked before and had no reason, I had assumed originally they would come on with full beam. Can anyone explain the purpose of them as I get no other warning messages and can not get the halogen bulbs to light at all on either side. Drivers side low and main beam all work, as do the fog lights ( except blown bulb of course ). Low and main beam I am guessing is the same bulb for both as it just gets brighter or dimmer on mine - didnt expect that either. The inside headlight again does nothing except light up with the side light bulb... I am seriously confused...

The fog light bulb, seems soldered into a housing? is it merc only part again !

Also do i need anything special to reset the message? Will the lights work with the message displayed if the fault is fixed or will it need resetting to tell if it is fixed. I have a diagnostic reader and reset tool.

Can someone perhaps please answer the above.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 R230
No replies...

Anyway for anyone wondering I had failure of the passenger side igniter.

After replacement, inside headlights (main beam) come on with Full beam.

It is clear that 1 igniter for low beam failing can as in my case disable the full beam on both sides.