SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Replacing the EIS on a '05 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Replacing the EIS on a '05 SL500

I posted a similar question on another forum, but I'd like to get some more (different) opinions, so here it goes:

I've been experiencing recurring issues with some of the electrical systems going out, or not "booting" during start.

Specifically, the Command cuts out with "System Unavailable", the roll-bar light flickers on the dash while the seat belt lock solenoid clicks away. The seat heaters won't work, the windshield wipers don't work and the steering wheel positioning doesn't work either . There are a couple of other system that go wonky but I don't remember which.

I though this was a problem with the driver side SAM, and after removing it and cleaning the contacts, the problem went away for a few months but then came back. Then I noticed that jiggling the key in the ignition, or simply removing it and putting back would solve the problem, at least temporarily.

Now I can put the key in and if it works, it works, if it doesn't (and it's easy to tell if it doesn't), I simply tap the key a couple of times, and the systems come on line.

My concern is that one day I'll tap on the key like I do now, and the whole thing will just cut out and I won't be able to even start the car. Before someone asks, I only have one key fob, so I don't know if the problem is with the key, or the entire ignition switch.

So I bought a used EIS with a key from a wrecked '05 with only 45K on it, and the switch and key look near perfect. The idea is to replace everything, key and switch, and if they could also recode the old key to the new switch, so much the better.

So here are the questions:

I assume it needs to be recoded for my car. Can the recoding be done on a workbench, or does it have to be installed in the car first.

The reason I ask, is because I'd rather pay the shop to recode first and see if it works, before I pay them to install it, then find out it won't work.

What would the shop need from me, other than the replacement switch & key? The VIN number of my car, I presume, what else? The car is my daily driver, so I'd like keep it running while they recode the switch, but if that's not doable, then so be it.

Additionally, assuming everything works, can they recode the old key to the new EIS?