SL/R230: shifter is not stuck but my transmission is still in D but can't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class
shifter is not stuck but my transmission is still in D but can't start

2005 SL350 5 speed gearbox

shifter is not stuck but my transmission is still in D so I can't start my car. Display appear In D mode and will not let me start the car because display can't read is in P mode.

Sometime when i driving in D mode the gear will not change gear. But once i off and restart my 2005 SL350 everything back to normal.

Does anyone know what caused this?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by waltergoh
2005 SL350 5 speed gearbox

shifter is not stuck but my transmission is still in D so I can't start my car. Display appear In D mode and will not let me start the car because display can't read is in P mode.

Sometime when i driving in D mode the gear will not change gear. But once i off and restart my 2005 SL350 everything back to normal.

Does anyone know what caused this?
If I was to make a wild *** guess, it would be a conductor plate issue. It is a known issue that tranny fluid can foul the electrical contacts on the conductor plate and cause issues. It can also mess with the speed sensor on the conductor plate which would then relate to the not changing gear issue.

Here is a link to a really good discussion on the conductor plate.

there is also a known "stuck shifter" issue, but I thought it was mostly related to being stuck in park. Here is a thread on that subject.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ting-park.html