SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: transmission would not shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2015 | 09:03 AM

E class
transmission would not shift

Sometimes my transmission would not shift. It seems like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. Wouldn't go up or down, I tried doing the manual shifting with the steering buttons but that didn't work either. Once I turned the car off and restarted it the car would seem to be fine.

When the gear is in P model the dial will not indicate P. Same goes for when I change up and down between D, N, R or P the dial would not indicate correctly. Instead it will still show D as prior to that this was the mode i was in.
Old 05-12-2015 | 03:52 PM

'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I'll throw you a bone to chew on

Not a professional wrench, but this appears to be an electrical issue, which leads me to believe it is either the 'conductor plate', or possibly fluid contamination of the Tranny Control Module (TCM).

If the Plate is the problem, it is a DIY job, but requires dropping the pan from the tranny and replacing the plate. Plate is about $100 on line, and a new filter, fluid, gasket, plus electrical fitting should add another $50-100 bucks.
Search for 722.6 conductor plate. There are nice videos on this to be found.

If the TCM is oily from trans fluid leaking in, you may be able to clean it thoroughly and get it to work, or it may need replacing. The TCM gets fouled by a leaking electrical connector at the trans.
You will need to replace this connector either way if there is trans fluid near the right front of the pan. Another common failure point on this model of trans.
Only about $30 for that connector (guide bushing) and a little fluid to DIY. Search for TCM or TCU and connector leak.

However - get a second opinion from an independent shop before tearing in, and read up on some of the postings here or on the E55 site until you find a similar problem.
Check out this site for a good description, or ask bayhas (member here) if he knows the problem: http://bayhas.com/mercedes/r230/cont...electrical.htm