SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Track day impressions of the SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Track day impressions of the SL55

Spent the day Friday at High Plains Raceway near Denver, CO in the SL55.
Day started with rain, but the track dried by afternoon to allow full wet and dry use of the car.

Some items to note from my 1st track day in this car...

Michelin Super Sport tires work well in the wet and dry. Acceleration wheelspin is quickly caught by stability control. Same for heavy wet braking and ABS engaging.

Wet cornering was a surprise. If the car started to spin, it was caught by a throttle cut, and directional braking, to settle the car back on the intended path. But the computers gave you little to do in the situation except steer.

It was best to drive with the manual paddle shifters and hold the car in a higher gear when wet driving. If allowed to downshift in auto, it would quickly spin the rear tires, or try to spin out in the wet.

When the track dried it was of course much harder to find the limits. Acceleration was always hooked up except for inside rear tire when exiting tight corners. A limited slip would have helped, but it was fine by modulating throttle.

The front tires take a beating turning the heavy mass, and heated up peeling rubber off the shoulder and sticking it in the center of the treads. Rear tires were fine and showed little wear due to wheelspin being controlled by traction control. The car always felt balanced while turning both on braking and on the gas. I ran 40 PSI tire pressure all around.

The front brakes were radiating massive heat, turning blue after use, and the front pads were smoking after each session, but I never felt any fade. I probably shaved 25% of the Akebono front pad life in 25 laps. Very faint dust from these pads.

Seats were very supportive for stock. It did take some effort to hang on, but not too bad for a non race seat.

Everything worked perfectly, no codes thrown, no mechanical issues. This is an 87K mile, 13 year old car. I did feel the supercharger lay down once when it was heated up late in the day, so it probably got too high on intake air temp (IAT). I came in shortly afterwards to rest the car, and myself. Best top speed was 130 on the long straight.

Everyone needs to experience this car on a track so they can see the full potential of it. Doing so on the street is an invitation to the hospital or jail. I now know what this car is capable of, and how it will react when pushed.

Enjoy the ride, Kelly
Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Did you not try ESP off `?? it is mutch more fun , i had the 2004 of this one, and it was turning off the trottle til it was not fun anymore. 2007 seems little less active the trottle shut off then the 2004.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
On a tight track ESP off was a lot of fun and only a little drama. I did get tire spin on the inside when accelerating, so I kept the ESP on. Wet track you have to have ESP on or expect a trip into the weeds.
Of course if you want to do donuts...turn it off ��