Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 560 SEC, 2008 SL65 AMG
Help buying a SL R230

Hi all,

Nice to meet you!
I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now and finally made up my mind. These are the things I know:

- I want a SL R230.
- I'm aware of the things that can go wrong with these cars so I want to get an extended warranty.
- My budget is around 35k (including extended warranty).
- I would need financing.
- As far as options goes I would like at least ventilated seats, parktronic and keyless go. At the very very least the last two.

Up until a few days ago, I thought the only place that met all the criteria was CarMax so I spent the last couple of months checking up the site but I'm not convinced about the options I find on the cars I'm interested in, most have no extra options at all.
The other day talking to somebody in the office I found out that you can get an extended warranty from a third party for a car like this. There are different kinds and, at least based on a technician from a Mercedes dealership, CarMax has the most comprehensive one.
As I understand, SL500s will sell for cheaper but tend to have more issues with ABC (specially 03s and 04s). Maintenance wise, SL500 and SL550 are virtually the same and SL600 compares to SL55 AMG (I'm not even contemplating a SL65 AMG).
What I would need from you guys is some tips to decide what car to buy and where to get the extended warranty from. I intend to keep the car for at least 4-5 years (maybe even more if I'm confident with the shape the car is after the warranty expires), so I would like to know your thoughts on things like resell value (SL500 vs SL550 or either of those vs AMG) and get the facts straight about maintenance costs.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 06-19-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I'm just going to make a few comments to help you.
While the SL500 and SL55 may look the same, they are vastly different to drive.
Maintenance is virtually the same, just slightly more costly oil changes and brakes. The SL600 has some more costly repairs under the hood that can bite over the time of ownership.
Drive them all if possible prior to buying. Then buy the best maintained lowest mileage version you can afford in the preferred paint and interior color. Everything else can be changed if you have the cash.
I don't do extended warranty as I do all my own work. Can't help you there.
Good luck in your search and hope your new car brings you joy.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kbob999
I'm just going to make a few comments to help you.
While the SL500 and SL55 may look the same, they are vastly different to drive.
Maintenance is virtually the same, just slightly more costly oil changes and brakes. The SL600 has some more costly repairs under the hood that can bite over the time of ownership.
Drive them all if possible prior to buying. Then buy the best maintained lowest mileage version you can afford in the preferred paint and interior color. Everything else can be changed if you have the cash.
I don't do extended warranty as I do all my own work. Can't help you there.
Good luck in your search and hope your new car brings you joy.
Hi kbob999, thanks for your comments.
I have driven a 06 SL500 so far and I loved it. I realize the improvements a SL550 would have but the only reason why I would buy one of those is for a better resell value. I'm guessing there's always going to be a considerable difference in price between the two, do you agree?
I tried to avoid so far to drive a SL55, I've been told that after I do that, there will be no way back to a non AMG one hehe.
What do you mean that everything else can be changed if I have the cash? I could add keyless go or parktronic afterwards?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
I owned an 04 SL500 for about a year. Loved the car. No issues with it. Pano roof is nice. Sold it and bought an 11 SL550. I'm sure I would have loved the AMG versions but stayed with the 'boring' SL550. Looked at a handful but decided on a CPO car for the warranty, peace of mind. It was under 22k miles and just perfect condition. Still had factory warranty, which I used for getting instrument cluster and c-pillar panels replaced. About warranties, I did a lot of looking into those as well. Ultimately I went with the MB extended warranty which will pick up when the CPO warranty ends next year. Do not believe that would be available for the years you are looking at (MB will only go out seven years total I believe). However other car warranties that seemed to be reputable (and that I was considering): Endurance, Carchex, Warranty Direct. The best coverage is from the exclusionary policies and, not surprisingly, they are the most expensive.

Fwiw...not exactly related, but I had my indy flush the ABC yesterday. At 22k miles, 4yo, the fluid was already darkening. Clearly preventative in nature but love seeing in nice clear green again. Mark
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by funymuny
I owned an 04 SL500 for about a year. Loved the car. No issues with it. Pano roof is nice. Sold it and bought an 11 SL550. I'm sure I would have loved the AMG versions but stayed with the 'boring' SL550. Looked at a handful but decided on a CPO car for the warranty, peace of mind. It was under 22k miles and just perfect condition. Still had factory warranty, which I used for getting instrument cluster and c-pillar panels replaced. About warranties, I did a lot of looking into those as well. Ultimately I went with the MB extended warranty which will pick up when the CPO warranty ends next year. Do not believe that would be available for the years you are looking at (MB will only go out seven years total I believe). However other car warranties that seemed to be reputable (and that I was considering): Endurance, Carchex, Warranty Direct. The best coverage is from the exclusionary policies and, not surprisingly, they are the most expensive.

Fwiw...not exactly related, but I had my indy flush the ABC yesterday. At 22k miles, 4yo, the fluid was already darkening. Clearly preventative in nature but love seeing in nice clear green again. Mark
Thanks for the tips. I called those companies and none cover ABC suspension or hardtop motor. I found another one googling in that's called paragon, it did fully cover the hardtop motor but only certain components of the ABC suspension.
On the other hand, just found on CarMax an SL550 that meets all the criteria but it's 58k miles. I think I'm going for it but I have a couple of questions. The warranty lists the following as items not covered:
- Along a lot of other maintenance items, shock absorbers. Is this too expensive or something I should replace very often?
- Convertible tops and removable hardtop assemblies. Does this mean the hardtop mechanism is not covered? I'm guessing is not fully covered at least, but anybody knows what these things mean for this car?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 11:37 AM

SL550
Originally Posted by thphon
Thanks for the tips. I called those companies and none cover ABC suspension or hardtop motor. I found another one googling in that's called paragon, it did fully cover the hardtop motor but only certain components of the ABC suspension.
On the other hand, just found on CarMax an SL550 that meets all the criteria but it's 58k miles. I think I'm going for it but I have a couple of questions. The warranty lists the following as items not covered:
- Along a lot of other maintenance items, shock absorbers. Is this too expensive or something I should replace very often?
- Convertible tops and removable hardtop assemblies. Does this mean the hardtop mechanism is not covered? I'm guessing is not fully covered at least, but anybody knows what these things mean for this car?

Thanks
Good luck. About the warranties, the one I specifically remember looking at in a little more depth was Warranty Direct. Their exclusionary 'platinum' (ie, most expensive) plan did cover the ABC, at least based on my conversation with the rep and review of the policy provisions...because it was not excluded. Same for the roof hydraulics. It was also around $6k for five years if I remember correctly. Warranty Direct is part of the Interstate National group of companies; large group, well-capitalized and believe they do their own administration. I also remember asking my independent mechanic about his experience. He was going from memory but recognized the names I mentioned...did not recall any issues, fwiw.

The exclusionary contracts/plans are typically the best ones (everything else being equal) but it depends on what is listed as excluded. Other things that get into the fine print are where you can have it serviced/repaired, types of parts (new, reman, oem, etc.) and payment for secondary damage caused by a failure. The top warranties, although expensive, seem to be written not so restrictively...but one has to pay for that. Had I not opted for the MB policy, which has zero deductible (only option) but requires work to be performed at an MB dealer, I was going to go for the Warranty Direct Platinum. But I also did not need it for at least a year so was going to wait. Anyway, that is my nickel's worth, fwiw.

Enjoy the car. They are nice. Set a few dollars aside for repair/maintenance but enjoy it while you have it. Mark
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 550SL
Saw an '08 SL550 yesterday for sale

I happened to stop an my local BMW dealership yesterday in Henderson, NV and saw a mint, '08 SL550 with less than 24K miles, one owner, AMG pkg, pano roof. Would have snapped it up in a minute bought just bought an '09 from Carmax last week. It was silver, stone interior. Just FYI if anyone is looking.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:15 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
2 words from another owner:

I was just like you, looking around for over a year for a decent car. I was thinking to get the AMG one, but none with decent mileage would fit in my budget of 30-35k.
What happened was i found one at a private party seller. 2005, 22k miles, base SL500. The price - 26k. No dealer will match the price. But before buying it we went to the MB center and did a prepurchase inspection, to make sure there are no problems with the car (they actually do a good inspection) beside the thing that the car is in mint condition.
So i bought it. Some will say it was risky, but as long as you know what to look for when inspecting the car you'll be fine.
With the extended warranty can't say much, few companies do it on a 10 yo car
So $ 10k makes a difference in price for me.

P.S.
I had to pay almost 2k in taxes (Yes, i live in CA) so that bumped the price, but still cheaper than any dealer 1k miles around
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM
BHC

03 SL 500; 2012 CTS V; 2011 Chevy Avalanche Magnacherged
SL 500

Tips from a newbie; get a CTEK 7002 battery charger maintainer as soon as you find an SL that you like. 80k is where my problems crept in, ABC actuator, leak here, switch there. All told I'll be in 5-6K to get it where I would like it to be. I got it at a great price and I do all of my own work. If you don't like or have time to turn wrenches, find a low mileage and enjoy. As far as warranty, USAA offers one of the most complete for about 2400, pretty much bumper to bumper for 60K miles
Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
BHC About the CTEK 7002 charger/maintenance unit: Does plugging the unit into one of your cigarette lighters--say, the one in the dash panel--provide charge/maintenance power to both batteries?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:17 PM
BHC

03 SL 500; 2012 CTS V; 2011 Chevy Avalanche Magnacherged
Connect it to rear battery, keeps them both charged
Old 06-21-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Thank you, BHC.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostty
2 words from another owner:

I was just like you, looking around for over a year for a decent car. I was thinking to get the AMG one, but none with decent mileage would fit in my budget of 30-35k.
What happened was i found one at a private party seller. 2005, 22k miles, base SL500. The price - 26k. No dealer will match the price. But before buying it we went to the MB center and did a prepurchase inspection, to make sure there are no problems with the car (they actually do a good inspection) beside the thing that the car is in mint condition.
So i bought it. Some will say it was risky, but as long as you know what to look for when inspecting the car you'll be fine.
With the extended warranty can't say much, few companies do it on a 10 yo car
So $ 10k makes a difference in price for me.

P.S.
I had to pay almost 2k in taxes (Yes, i live in CA) so that bumped the price, but still cheaper than any dealer 1k miles around
Hey, I almost do that myself a couple of weeks ago. I saw online a 03 SL500 with 41k for $20K, it was sold by an Audi dealership. I took the car to a MB dealership for an inspection and the guy there told me the car was in good condition for the year and everything but that ABC and hardtop could fail anytime soon and there was no warranty for it. So I decided against it because I can't do the work myself.
About the 07 sl550 from carmax, I confirmed both ABC and the mechanism for the hardtop are covered so I went ahead and transferred the car from TX. I'm in Orlando, FL so in less than two weeks it should be here
Old 06-22-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BHC
Tips from a newbie; get a CTEK 7002 battery charger maintainer as soon as you find an SL that you like. 80k is where my problems crept in, ABC actuator, leak here, switch there. All told I'll be in 5-6K to get it where I would like it to be. I got it at a great price and I do all of my own work. If you don't like or have time to turn wrenches, find a low mileage and enjoy. As far as warranty, USAA offers one of the most complete for about 2400, pretty much bumper to bumper for 60K miles
Will do, thanks.
And about those issues... The SL550 I'm close to buying has 58k and CarMax warranty is $6.3k with $0 deductible and $4.2k with $250 deductible for 42k miles or 5 years. Is it reasonable to go with the cheapest one? I'm guessing taking the car 8 times in that period will be better that paying those $2k up front. Or you guys think that before 100k miles mark I will be paying a lot more visits to me mechanic?
Just to clarify, bear in mind that the warranty doesn't include maintenance items, so I'm strictly talking of going 8 times for ABC issues and things like that.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM

SL550
Will do, thanks.
And about those issues... The SL550 I'm close to buying has 58k and CarMax warranty is $6.3k with $0 deductible and $4.2k with $250 deductible for 42k miles or 5 years. Is it reasonable to go with the cheapest one? I'm guessing taking the car 8 times in that period will be better that paying those $2k up front. Or you guys think that before 100k miles mark I will be paying a lot more visits to me mechanic?
Just to clarify, bear in mind that the warranty doesn't include maintenance items, so I'm strictly talking of going 8 times for ABC issues and things like that.
Who is underwriting the CarMax warranty?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 AM

Who is underwriting the CarMax warranty?
I believe is a subsidiary of CarMax called MaxCare or something like that
Old 06-22-2015, 09:11 AM

SL550
New one to me. It reads to me as an Exclusionary Contract...typically the best kind, or at least most comprehensive and, no surprise, the most expensive.

MaxCare extended service plans are administered by The Warranty Group® and CNA National Warranty Corporation®. CarMax is not a party to MaxCare extended service plans.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 AM

New one to me. It reads to me as an Exclusionary Contract...typically the best kind, or at least most comprehensive and, no surprise, the most expensive.

MaxCare extended service plans are administered by The Warranty Group® and CNA National Warranty Corporation®. CarMax is not a party to MaxCare extended service plans.
Oh right, I read it but forgot that last part.
The guy from the MB dealership that inspected the car said that CarMax provides the best and most comprehensive warranty apart from MB itself. And based on the little reseach I did so far with the companies named here, it's the only one that covers ABC, so it's looking good.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM

SL550
Also, some interesting reviews about MaxCare warranties. From the little I learned researching warranties...generally better to have a company that administers its own contracts AND the best ones have been in business for decades and/or are backed by large insurance companies. The fine print in these contracts can be surprising. The best ones are expensive...$6k range for around five years.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM

SL550
Oh right, I read it but forgot that last part.
The guy from the MB dealership that inspected the car said that CarMax provides the best and most comprehensive warranty apart from MB itself. And based on the little reseach I did so far with the companies named here, it's the only one that covers ABC, so it's looking good.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but I do not believe the info about covering ABC is correct, meaning that I agree this covers ABC and related, but so do other Top Tier companies' exclusionary contracts. At least the few I looked at. I probably got a little OCD with my research and then of course went with the MB extended warranty. Just got into the CPO warranty last Thursday so still a year to go.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I do not believe the info about covering ABC is correct, meaning that I agree this covers ABC and related, but so do other Top Tier companies' exclusionary contracts. At least the few I looked at. I probably got a little OCD with my research and then of course went with the MB extended warranty. Just got into the CPO warranty last Thursday so still a year to go.
I couldn't find another company that would insure an 8 year old car. Can you recommend some?
CarMax says they are covering it because they detail things not covered, and nothing about suspension is mentioned. Plus what the MB technician said. Just to be sure, I'll try to get that in writing from both parties.
Thanks! and don't worry, that's the whole idea of starting this thread.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM

SL550
I had narrowed down to Endurance Supreme plan and Warranty Direct Luxury Care+. Those were the highest level exclusionary contracts. Going from memory here...when it comes to the struts those might not be covered; don't recall. Some consider those essentially a wear item. But the pumps, hoses, sensors, accumulators...I believe those were covered under the two plans I listed above. One of them covered for many years...I was surprised at the time.

Anyway, following is one of the several review sites I used to cross-reference: http://extended-car-warranty-service...enreviews.com/

I also called my indy mechanic and he recognized a few of the top names as having worked with. Nothing remarkable as far as problems dealing with came to mind.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM

I had narrowed down to Endurance Supreme plan and Warranty Direct Luxury Care+. Those were the highest level exclusionary contracts. Going from memory here...when it comes to the struts those might not be covered; don't recall. Some consider those essentially a wear item. But the pumps, hoses, sensors, accumulators...I believe those were covered under the two plans I listed above. One of them covered for many years...I was surprised at the time.

Anyway, following is one of the several review sites I used to cross-reference: http://extended-car-warranty-service...enreviews.com/

I also called my indy mechanic and he recognized a few of the top names as having worked with. Nothing remarkable as far as problems dealing with came to mind.
Great! will check them out. Thanks!
About MaxCare, the only thing listed as an exclusion is shock absorbers so looks similar. But I'll call them anyway.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can do a 10 year old car with less than 100k miles through USAA. If it is over 50k miles, it is 2 year 24k miles and if it has less than 50k miles they will do a 4 year 48k mile plan. Looks to cover just about everything.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM

Hey guys,

I ended up buying a 07 SL550 with 56k from CarMax, I'm really happy about it!

Help buying a SL R230-img_2964.jpg

Help buying a SL R230-img_2966.jpg

Help buying a SL R230-img_2968.jpg

Help buying a SL R230-img_2970.jpg

Help buying a SL R230-img_2971.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Help buying a SL R230