SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Factory Collection Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Collection Warning

The following message was posted by a member of the Mercedes Benz Club UK on their forum:

FOR ANYONE WHO IS DUE TO COLLECT THEIR CAR FROM THE FACTORY

I have just returned from Bremen having collected my new SL 500. The factory tour and collection of the car was superb.

However, my warning concerns travelling through northern France to Calais and the channel tunnel. About 40 miles from the tunnel I noticed an Audi A4 with UK plates was following me closely, passing, slowing down, letting me pass and following closely. The passenger in the Audi was staring a me, my passenger and the car. Having noticed this i quickly pulled into a service area with a service station, the Audi made a fast turn crossing all three lanes in order to follow me into the station. I parked in a parking bay, staying in the locked car. One of the guys got out of the Audi came up to my window trying to get me to lower the window. I lowered the window only about 40mm so I could speak. He started asking me odd questions about how I was able to buy a right hand drive car with German plates. I told him it was customer collection, shut the window and waited wile he walked off, got into the car and they drove off.

Once I got to the tunnel, HM customs wanted to see all the paperwork for the car. The officer explained to me that they are now checking all UK cars with transit plates because criminal gangs are targeting these cars in order to get the car and transit plates. I told him about my experience with the Audi and he said I was sensible not to get out of the car or drop the window enough for the guy to lean in and get the keys. He said that although these guys may have indeed had an innocent motive, they could have easily been trying to get hold of the car. The officer gave me the following advice which I would like to pass on to any other members who are using the customer collection service:

1). Never stop at the rest areas that have no services (petrol station etc), or are deserted.
2). Never open the window fully if someone approaches
3). Never leave the car unlocked
4). Never leave the keys in the ignition
5). Beware of undue attention to your car