SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2007 SL600 Questions and Thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
2007 SL600 Questions and Thoughts

I just drove a 2007 SL600 (I own a tuned 09 P30 C63)
The SL was tuned, modified exhaust with aftermarket final mufflers and AMG quad tips, custom wheels with 255 fronts and 305 rears. Pretty hot looking SL!
My questions are;
- Was there an AMG trim pkg. available on this car? How do you identify it and what did it include?

- Did this include a AMG badge on the right side trunk lid? This car has a badge and the style and font is different than what I have seen on AMG's.

- The car has a dynocomp sheet that says it makes 500 whp and 680 wtq. Is this typical for one of these tuned? What crank HP and TQ is typical?

- When you put your foot into it the only thing you hear is horrendous hissing like its trying to breathe through two straws. Did these things come out with an undersized restrictive exhaust or is it likely from the "custom" exhaust work.

- For those who have driven one of these SL's and a C63, could you give me your comparison opinions?
I thought that other than the massive torque, the SL isn't as fun to drive as the C. The SL certainly wins in the looks department. I think the C63 is better handling, more stable at speed when you want to be sane and more of an a*s hanging hooligan when you want to have fun. I found the SL twitchy and not confidence inspiring at speed. Obviously front heavy, and just not as nimble, solid or precise.
The C feels tighter, lighter and much more a precision extension of your thoughts what you want the car to do.
So am I just expecting too much of the SL? Are they just different animals?
However, it is a nice change to be able to just sink your foot down without a gear change and torque another car into the weeds without having to drop 2-3 gears and make a 5-7 thousand rpm fuss like you do in the 63.
Thanks for your feedback!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
There was no AMG pkg. available for the sl600 so the badge was added after.

500whp are good numbers for a tuned V12.

The wine is due to the aftermarket work as the stock 600's really make no noise. This could also mean possible issues but I could not say what.

On the handling side the SL does under steer but the non standard tyre sizes mentioned will make it worse as you have a 50mm width difference now as opposed to 30mm as standard. As long as the ABC is working properly I find it to handle very well but it does carry 4,500lb. Around which is difficult to hide.

They are fantastic cars and the V12 is something to experience.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL600
Multi,

Here is the build sheet for my Sl600. It does come with (in the US anyway) a 321 AMG Sport Package.

According to Motor Trend the Package includes:

AMG Sport Package - $5,310
Front alloy wheels with 18 inch rim diam and 8.5 inch rim width , rear alloy wheels with 18 inch rim diam and 9.5 inch rim width; Front other tires with 255 mm tire width, 40% tire profile and Z tire rating , rear other tires with 285 mm tire width, 35% tire profile and Z tire rating; Front spoiler; Side body skirts; Rear apron

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/...#ixzz3h3ROBRZ6

However, I can state for a fact there is no AMG badging.

Last edited by gwelliott; 07-26-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
As stated, the car was available with the sport package. Front bumper and side aprons were the same as AMG, rear bumper was similar but differs in the exhaust cut-out and black plastic insert instead of the wire mesh. Stock V12 sticker on the side between the fins.

V12's are always front heavy and I found them tremendous fun to drive due to it's endless torque, but nimble would never come to mind.

That said, the SL will be better planted at speed than the C63, so I am unsure what you are referring to. By speed I mean 130mph to 186mph (if limiter is removed).