SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Key Dependency/Smart Key/Keyless Go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 500
Question Key Dependency/Smart Key/Keyless Go

Ok, I am very confused here and I need help.

I have a 2004 SL 500 with Keyless Go.

There is a setting for key dependency that is set to off right now.

How does key dependency actually work?

Here's what I would like to accomplish:

I walk to my car with key#1. If I put the key in the ignition the seat should adjust to my settings. If I start the car without putting the key in the ignition (Keyless Go), should the the seat also adjust to my settings?

Another person walks to my car with key#2. That person puts the key in the ignition, the seat should adjust to that person's settings. If that person starts the car without putting the key in the ignition (Keyless Go), should the seat adjust to that person's settings?

In what scenario should key dependency be on or off?

What memory position should we be using? 1 for key#1 and 2 for key#2?

Can Keyless Go identify which settings go with which key? What if both keys are in the car at the same time?

My dealer explained it all to me when I took delivery of the car a couple of weeks ago, but with all the excitement I didn't really get it and the manual doesn't really say a whole lot about it.

Please help

Thank you
Old 02-23-2004, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
we also have KG, but we dont turn key dependancy on. i believe KG doesnt work, but the best thing to do is test it out. i also believe it goes to the last setting...so if key #2 was in position 2, it will go there, not 1. GL with it. KG has its ups and downs. like if you press the start button twice w/o brake, then press it with brake, it shuts down the car, then starts it...kinda wierd.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:39 PM

2004 SL 500
bmms8: Thank you for your reply. I am so confused. I remember the delivery person at my dealer saying that Key Dependency should be turned off if I would be using Keyless Go more often than the key, but I still don't understand exactly how that relates to the memory positions.

I'll be taking a class at my dealer on March 13th ("Keys to your car") and I will ask again, see if I can get clarification on this subject.

I called 1-800-FOR-MERC and they got as confused as I was so I didn't get a clear explanation either.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by xtianpel
bmms8: Thank you for your reply. I am so confused. I remember the delivery person at my dealer saying that Key Dependency should be turned off if I would be using Keyless Go more often than the key, but I still don't understand exactly how that relates to the memory positions.

I'll be taking a class at my dealer on March 13th ("Keys to your car") and I will ask again, see if I can get clarification on this subject.

I called 1-800-FOR-MERC and they got as confused as I was so I didn't get a clear explanation either.

I'll keep you posted.
cool, by the way, you can take classes at your dealership? do you know how much they cost, and if there is an age requirement. thanks. i never knew you could do such a thing.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:12 PM

2004 SL 500
I think this is something that only this dealership offers. I bought two other Mercedes before at two other dealerships but they didn't offer classes and they still don't as far as I know.

I bought this one at Beverly Hills Ltd. and they offer 2 classes free of charge (actually 3 if you buy an ML)

Here are the details...

http://www.bhbenz.com/programs.html

I'll let you know how they are after I take them.