SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: A strange noise in my SL500(R230) brakes. Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' SL 500
A strange noise in my SL500(R230) brakes. Please help!

Hello,

I need your help. I have a problem with my R230 SL500 brakes. Everytime I stop there's a strange noise from the back of the car. It's not just a noise but more like knocking sound. The problem started few months ago when the computer that manage the electicity betweek the two batteries went down and my brakes went in emergency mode. I've been in the MB service box many times but it seems like they can't find the problem. I'm tired of going there and losing hours for nothign.

I need advice from someone professional who knows why such a problem might occure.

I'll be greatful if someone who knows what the problem might be replay to my message.

Thanks,
Nasko
Old 02-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

02' SL 500
I hear the noise in two occasions only. When I'm stoping just before the car stops to 0 the noise occurs and when I release the brake pedal as well. Please help.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Brake noise

Just had the same problem fixed on my SL.

I initially thought that it was transmission related but the answer is well known to Mercedes dealerships and there is an inter dealership bulletin about the cure.

It is a caliper problem, easy to resolve and a warranty item. The problem which was beginning to drive me to distraction has now been totally resolved and it feels like a new car to drive. No more 'feathering' of the brake pedal to minmise the noise.