SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Radio no sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Radio no sound

First and foremost thank you to everyone on here that has posted tutorials on how to fix problems, I have saved a TON by following your guides and really appreciate all your work!

The radio in my 2003 SL500 has finally stopped working. At first it was intermittent and could be fixed by turning the system on and off, but now, while my command unit still powers on I have no sound. I have been searching through threads on how to fix the problem and have found a lot of helpful articles on diagnosing the fiber optic loop. I took everything apart and have bypassed the cd changer and the telephone system. As a side test to make sure that my loop works, I bypassed the amp, took apart the connector leading to the head unit and held one side to the optical light source, and then turned on the head unit. I saw the three flashing lights make it through the loop so I know my loop is good. However when I put the amp into the loop, when I run the same test, I don't see the flashing light. I've tried hooking the amp up at different points in the loop and have the same problem with not seeing the red light flash three times.

Is my amp dead or is there a problem with the amp? How would I go about testing my amp? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500 2015 ML350 Bluetec
I too have the same issue and would love for someone to chime in with expert advise on this.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL55 amg, 2009 Lincoln MXZ, 2012 Dodge 2500 Limited
Took the car out for a quick boot yesterday and the stereo worked just find. Parked in the driveway. a couple hours later, I went to put inside the garage and I just got a buzzing noise from the speakers and no radio or mp3. I'm a bit frustrated in regards to what the issue is. Any help would be great appreciated.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by darkness_flare
First and foremost thank you to everyone on here that has posted tutorials on how to fix problems, I have saved a TON by following your guides and really appreciate all your work!

The radio in my 2003 SL500 has finally stopped working. At first it was intermittent and could be fixed by turning the system on and off, but now, while my command unit still powers on I have no sound. I have been searching through threads on how to fix the problem and have found a lot of helpful articles on diagnosing the fiber optic loop. I took everything apart and have bypassed the cd changer and the telephone system. As a side test to make sure that my loop works, I bypassed the amp, took apart the connector leading to the head unit and held one side to the optical light source, and then turned on the head unit. I saw the three flashing lights make it through the loop so I know my loop is good. However when I put the amp into the loop, when I run the same test, I don't see the flashing light. I've tried hooking the amp up at different points in the loop and have the same problem with not seeing the red light flash three times.

Is my amp dead or is there a problem with the amp? How would I go about testing my amp? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Well, it could be the antenna in back of head unit came loose. I recently swapped out my radio and when antennae plug was loose there was no sound.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Lex: The FM radio in my R230 works fine, but the AM radio is weak weak weak. I'm guessing there's a bad antenna connection somewhere, but I know nothing about trouble-shooting radios. Can you suggest how I might check out the AM antenna problem?