Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 500 Silver/Ash
Problems?

Hello,
Since the 1st week in January, I have owned a CLK500 Cab, then a CLK55 AMG Cab, now a SL500. After 3 cars in 3 months, I just love this SL. The CLK's are just plagued with MAJOR problems. The main problem with CLKs that I just can't overlook is the right drift. Thats why I now own a SL500. Slightly underpowered, but much more of a car. And certainly MORE of a head turner while driving on South Beach. My question for all new SL owners is this: HAVE ANY OF YOU REPLACED THE MOTOR MOUNTS BECAUSE OF THE ENGINE TICKING SOUND THAT HAS ALSO AFFECTED THE CLKS?
Its a knocking sound that resembles a piston type sound between 1200 and 3000 RPM. Also, any other things that I should look out for?
Thanks

Last edited by powrcat; 03-16-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These Mercedes faults are very queer, some say to have owned faulty SL's while their CLK's were fine, and like you, the contrary. I wonder why, perhaps the building team. If i could choose, i make my car be built on a Tuesday around 10:00AM. (There to tired and out of scheldule on monday, but still fresh on Tuesday, same applies to the time). I'm pretty sure this is not possible, but if i was in Germany or picking my car up from Germany i would follow my car around the assembly line making sure its ok and let the builders know im watching. (and probably be really annoying by askign questions and telling them to be careful and of what there doing is right).

I dont see why else some people have repetitive faulty cars, while some are reliable. I mean, if you wanted to keep your car for 20 years, you would want a good one.