SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: new keyless go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new keyless go

I am told that it is not possible to upgrade to the new key/keyless go system. There should be an easy way to buy the new keys containing the transmitter previously located in the card if you already paid for the keyless go option. I, for one, have had real problems getting locked out of my car and being stranded because I only carried my card. Perhaps enough MB owners in the same position can put pressure on DB to offer this upgrade.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:01 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
I have the 2003 SL500 and had asked this very question to MB about two weeks ago. I called and talked with a service manager from the main MB number and he said that the keyless go system is different in the 2003 and 2004 models, and so it would not be possible to upgrade to the key.

I dont like simple answers though and wanted more details. You probably can figure out the rest.

Any technical knowledge and explanations would be appreciated.

Paul
Old 03-21-2004, 03:49 PM

Consider yourselves lucky

Truth be told the original keyless go system is far superior to the new one. The whole idea of having to carry the key around to operate the keyless go now moots the whole intent of keyless go in the first place.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:34 PM

2004 SL55
i completely agree .. the 2003 card was much better than the key alone. i owned both. the card is flat and stays in your wallet. my key is attached to a home,office,and safe key, and it gets really annoying having to carry all of it with me. i liked leaving the whole keychain in the little boxunder the seat, but now i have to carry all the keys with me. kills the point of keyless gio
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheesh, no wonder manufacturers think the consumer is retarded..

before the new keyless go, everyone wanted the keyless go card and the key to be integrated.. now that they've done it, everyone wishes the key and card were separate.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:55 AM

I don't believe you get a card with the new keyless go.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:57 AM

ML63
(Almost) everyone could have been satisfied if there were both a keyless go traditional key and a keyless go wallet card that comes with each car.

The '03 wallet card seems to make more sense than the '04 setup, in terms of fitting in with the "convenience" selling point of keyless go; at least for men who traditionally have limited pant pockets / jacket space.

For women with a pocketbook or handbag, a key or wallet card is less of an issue; maybe even easier to have a key b/c a wallet card may be easy to have fall out or be hard to find in a pocketbook (doesn't matter if she always uses the same bag because all she needs is to have the wallet card somewhere in her bag for the car to sense ithe keyless presence).

- A-Train
Old 03-27-2004, 10:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Having the transmitter in the key makes the most sense, as if the system malfunctions your have the key right there to use starting your car. Keyless go means that you don't need to use the key to go.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:23 AM

ML63
Or, why not make the ignition slot to fit the wallet card? Or some other similarly more space-saving idea?

These keyless entry concepts, regardless of which manufacturer leads the way, will evolve. Perhaps Lexus will really get it right before anyone else. Lexus has its act together on all these little touches.

Some dealers tell customers for MB '03s to always bring the key even if using the wallet card, just in case the wallet card malfunctions.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by A-Train
Or, why not make the ignition slot to fit the wallet card? Or some other similarly more space-saving idea?

These keyless entry concepts, regardless of which manufacturer leads the way, will evolve. Perhaps Lexus will really get it right before anyone else. Lexus has its act together on all these little touches.

Some dealers tell customers for MB '03s to always bring the key even if using the wallet card, just in case the wallet card malfunctions.
if they made a ignition slot for the Keyless Go, then why not just use the key, right? I'm sure they must have thought of it and didn't use it for reasons that be untold. Cost? Reliability of the system?

And what dealers are telling customers is a GOOD thing because if the card does fail or the system does not recognize the card and you don't have your key, what are you going to do? You have your key handy so u can still be on your way.

now that it's all integrated into one package, best of both worlds. Honestly though, the key isn't that big...
Old 03-28-2004, 05:54 PM

ML63
Originally posted by GDawgC220
if they made a ignition slot for the Keyless Go, then why not just use the key, right?
I should have been clearer that my comment was somewhat in jest, but it does lead to thinking thru the keyless entry concept some more... Some people strongly prefer the wallet card to the key, if being able to choose one over the other, as one could with the '03 system. The half-inch difference in thickness, as well as shape overall, makes it more comfortable and aesthetically appealing to have the wallet card and no key (especially with flat-front pants, certain suits, etc.). Some people couldn't care either way. Some people really do care.

And what dealers are telling customers is a GOOD thing because if the card does fail or the system does not recognize the card and you don't have your key, what are you going to do? You have your key handy so u can still be on your way.
Some people with the '03 system use only the wallet card and take the risk of it not working, that's how much they do not want to carry the key. Granted, that should be the biggest hassle we all have in our lives...

Ok, enough from me on this topic.

- A-Train
Old 03-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Keyless Go with the integrated key is all but useless since you have to carry the key, you might as well just use it.

The card was the way to go !
Old 04-01-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Agree with that, especially since the card has the neat feature of being able to confirm the car is locked when you're away from it. The card "remembers" the lock status of the car when you walk away. Ever been in a restaturant and wondered whether you locked the car?