SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Buying an 07 SL 550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota
Smile Buying an 07 SL 550?

Hello as of now i'm driving an 02 camry, by next march i'm planning to finance an 07 SL 550, they generally go for around $25k here in Ontario and the main reason i want the SL is because of the black series conversion kit which face lifts it so your car looks like the 09 Black Series edition. Thats about 4K with installation, my question to you lovely people would be how to find the proper one without having to sell my kidneys for repairs. I heard the ABC suspension is the largest issue followed by the hydraulic roof cylinders leaking and what not. But i don't plan on putting the top down often, engine and transmission i'm not that concerned about because I've heard its been revised and only a few happen to experience them. Also i'm 20 but by next year i should have at least 15k, i'm going to insure the car under my dads name obviously. What tips could you give me for searching for a Sl 550-i really wanna go for the 07 because of the minor updates and the 5.5 litre V8 will be the alarm clock for the neighborhood at 3am.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Check CarMax.

Your V8 engine purrs like a kitten ... it won't awaken anyone unless you bugger up the exhaust or you're doing (or attempting to do) burnouts at 3 am.

Yes ... the ABC system will cause headaches. And wallet-aches. So will the SBC system. The radio/CD changer/telephone system is archaic; you can drop a tidy bundle of $$ seeking to upgrade them. The pneumatics system, including the PSE pump, can and will bite you in the ****.

If what you really want is a Black Series SL, why not just buy a Black Series SL? If you have to wait a bit longe to save up for your purchase, so what? ... you've got a perfectly good Camry that will get you through until you can purchase a Black Series model.

Good luck with your search. The SL is a young man's car. Unfortunately for many of us, we have to wait until we're old to get one. Follow your bliss.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
"There's nothing more expensive to own than a cheap Mercedes-Benz"
The following users liked this post:
carguyshu (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
you best have at least 2-3k set aside per year for maintenance and repairs. the top cylinders actually last longer with regular use as the problem with them is the seals going bad. Seals dry out much faster/easier when there is a lack of use. If this is a car you have to make car payments on b/c you don't have the funds to buy one outright, you likely shouldn't buy it b/c you won't be able to afford the upkeep. You are generally much better off overpaying for a well maintained car with records than you are buying one that you find is 'cheap.' Cheap/low initial priced SLs turn into very expensive ones very quickly.

BTW- you aren't going to get any sort of black series conversion kit that looks halfway decent for 4k. Just to buy one of the two factory bumpers and have it painted and installed by a good shop will run close to $2500. For the full black series you are looking at hood, fenders, bumpers, rear wheel well extensions etc. Expect to pay multiple times what you are estimating to get a kit installed that doesn't look cheap and crappy.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I have owned a 2007 SL600 since new. It now has 26,000 miles and I continue to enjoy it very much. I had to replace one frot ABC strut with a rebuilt unit $1,700. I had a few trunk lid flap issues, $1,000. I also replaced the spark plugs last year, very expensive on a V12 because there are 24 hard to reach plugs. The V12 is a heavy engine with a lot of torque and I currently have an engine mount that needs replacing. They have to remove the engine to get to it, $5,000 labor. Since the engine is out, I'm replacing the ABC pump and hoses, about $2,500. I use MB dealer service because of the sophistication of the various systems...labor costs are high at MB. I also have had all of the annual A & B services done at MB, A service is around $300, B service is about $500. Tires are also expensive to replace, about $400 each. I am extremely happy with my 2007, it is an extraordinary automobile, but maintenance is high cost. The SL is not the car for someone on a tight budget. Wishing you the best of luck!