SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Driver side window is snagging something

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Driver side window is snagging something

Just yesterday, I lowered the driver side window and it made a terrible noise as if the glass broke. Luckily I was able to raise it as always and the glass is fine. It appears to be snagging something on the way down but everything seems to be working fine. The noise it makes seems pretty serious but before I tear it down I thought I would ask for anyone's past experience. It does not seem to be related to my other post about the rear view dimming issue since that happened quite a while ago.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
I noticed marko69 worked the door panel for a vacuum lock problem . You might write him for an idea. My indy told me in some mirrors with the day/night thing can be repaired but in others it needs a new mirror. I wonder though if a connector came off and over time slipped down into the door and now causes your sound. Maybe you have just a "replug" problem and you are fixed.

moretech
Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Well my drivers door window operation made a terrible pop noise, and it was the window cable mechanism plastic guide that broke. It continued to make a grinding noise, which meant something was not right. Considering you are in a very hot climate, with a 14 year old plastic part, I'm betting this is your problem.

Pulled it apart and found the broken plastic cable guide parts in the bottom of the door. Bought a replacement (used) regulator off eBay for $150. Not the window motor, just the cable part it connects to. Then fixed it.

The hardest parts are: getting the glass out, then the regulator cable mechanism, then getting the window to align correctly when closed.
There are lateral (side to side) adjustments at the bottom, as well as vertical adjustments when it seats. The vertical requires pulling a couple plugs from the bottom face of the door, and turning the screws to adjust. There is some trial and error involved, as well as hooking up the wires from the door panel, with the door panel NOT installed.
It takes patience, and a couple hours, but overall maybe a 5 out of 10 for difficulty. Helps to have a second set of hands to hold things while you fiddle with them.

Sorry I did not take any pictures for a DIY, but i can remember most of it from memory. PM me if you need help, or search for similar replacement DIY online.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
I didn't get a chance to pull the door panel this weekend but I did drive the car. Surprisingly the window goes up and down smoothly now so I suspect it snagged a wire or connector somehow. There is a clue though--the one touch up feature doesn't work but the one touch down does. Otherwise everything else works as it should. The windows operate just fine while operating the top. Thanks to some really great door panel tutorials, I'll pull the panel and see what happened.