SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: PLEASE HELP WITH THESE CODES (pics provided)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 55 amg
PLEASE HELP WITH THESE CODES (pics provided)

think I got screwed buying this car from someone with no codes, (must of reset all the codes using the star that he provided to me during sale of car) days after all these codes popped up! Replaced crank p sensor and map sensor and check engine light came back on! While driving on freeway after about 40 min not beating on car CEL comes on finally got off freeway stopped car at light and car stalled, restarted car fine, light stayed on! Here are the pics help

Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Those are just stored codes. Reset them (both in ECU and TCU modules) and see if they return. The pressure sensor can throw errors if there is a vacuum leak in the system.

Note that you can click on those errors and get more details.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 55 amg
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Those are just stored codes. Reset them (both in ECU and TCU modules) and see if they return. The pressure sensor can throw errors if there is a vacuum leak in the system.

so what to look for would be active codes? Also when you say to reset those codes, in both ecu and tcu, is that when I hit the erase thing on the star it does that for me?
Also where do I find this leak been trying to listen or see and can't find it? What do i now to find or spot a leak

Note that you can click on those errors and get more details.
yeh I clicked and looked at them, just afraid I might have lost a lot of money with this car buying it from another owner! Since he had computer makes me think he hide a lot of things
Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just because the PO had SDS does not mean he was hiding things. On the contrary, anyone who owns a MBZ, especially an R230, and does their own work MUST have SDS. For example, replacing brake pads requires disabling SBC, which you can "sort of" do by unplugging it, but that does not relieve pressure or properly re-pressurize the system. To do that, you need SDS. Same goes for a brake fluid change - it requires SDS. Many problems with the ABC system or vario roof will need SDS to diagnose. Realize that your car is a rolling network of computers so you need the right tools to provide accurate information when something is wrong.

Like I said, those are all just stored, though the first three do show they illuminated the MIL. I'd erase them and see what comes back. When you do see a DTC in any of the car's systems, highlight the line and press F8 (the magnifying class icon) to get details about the frequency (number of occurrences), first and last odometer reading when it occurred, and vehicle speed at first occurrence. You can press F3 (the check-mark icon) to get more diagnostics steps. Note that some of the diagnostics may require extra tools like break-out boxes or CAN bus monitors that you probably don't have. But if you follow the pinouts, you may be able to tap into the wiring harnesses to get the same info.

Just be VERY, EXTREMELY, RIDICULOUSLY cautious and read the warnings. For example, when working with the SRS system, some of the tests actually send FIRE SIGNALS to the squibs. They instruct you to unplug the harness and attach a test device so that the squib is not actually fired, but if you don't do this, you WILL DEPLOY THE AIRBAG! Also, some test may reset devices to factory defaults, which is usually not a horrible thing, but may be inconvenient. But you are always safe just reading codes and erasing them with the F9 button or reading the diagnostics steps with F3.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL550, 2017 GLC300, 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, 2004 Ducati Monster
You say you replaced the MAP sensor, My '07 got a P0106 MAP sensor code. Where is the MAP located? I can't find it from any of the parts diagrams

Thanks,
BrianA.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's on the left side of the engine, on the valve cover, toward the front. Here's a pic:

Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL550, 2017 GLC300, 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, 2004 Ducati Monster
Rudeney,
Thank you, I appreciate your response.
BrianA.