SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Door Check SL55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55 AMG
Door Check SL55 AMG

My MB dealer has removed both bolts to the door check on the drivers door.

They have now told me the only way to fix this is by welding the plate to the car since they can not get the bolts back in position in the front wall of the car.

Please help!

I am desparate and the dealer will not do anything even they caused this problem.

Jim
Old 06-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
The dealer did something like that and doesn't want to fix it? Get to the manager, then manager above him, that's not something that they can do just like that. They broke it - they need to fix it. As simple as that. Stand your ground on this. Meantime, contact your insurance, see what they have to say about this.

There is the option to follow trough consumer's affairs (or whatever the department is called), but i'd keep that as the last resort.

Hope you'll get an answer soon,
Ghostty
The following users liked this post:
James M Carroll (07-05-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
I sure agree with Ghostty above . This kind of thing is so uncalled for. Just no sense for a problem like this.

moretech
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
One question came to my mind - is this the only proper way to fix it? They have a whole system that tells them how to take apart/put together parts. Many people here on forum have that system, can't remember right now the name (it's not SDS, maybe DAS? XENTRY?)

Another thing - if possible - contact another dealer and see what he'll say. If they'll confirm that welding is the only way - you won't have a choice. If not - the first have to fix it.

Regards
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
OK, looking at this:

http://benzbits.com/r230/DoorCheck.pdf

I really don't see what they could break that would require welding unless they stripped out the captive nuts on the A pillar (where bolts #3 in the diagram attach). In that case, the solution would be to re-tap the nuts for a larger size bolt. And if they did do this, they should be responsible for the repair - broken nuts and bolts are usually the techs fault (over-torquing) but even if they broke due to a defect, that would be factored into the book rates charged. For example, if it takes an extra two hours to fix this, they figure 1 job out of 10 will have an issue, so they add an extra ~15 minutes to the book rate to compensate.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55 AMG
Thanks for reply(s)

sorry I disappeared, major computer problems.

So... the dealer is willing to fix this however they can not seem to order the correct bolts, nuts.

Does anyone know if the "captive Nuts" can be accessed / so they can be replaced. I don't understand how the dealer messed this up so badly.

Originally only one bolt was loose, but they managed to mess up both, as they tried to replace both with the wrong bolts!

I have asked them to find out from Germany, but they seem to think they can figure this out themselves. I really don't trust them to correct the problem....

any suggestions what I should do?
JMC
Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
I cannot begin to tell you how mad I'd be if some dealer mechanic has such a low knowledge of his product that he cannot put a bolt in right and cause such a mess. I hope it all comes out ok for you. I am guessing "captive" means the nuts are welded in place on the back side of the pillar and he stripped them out with the wrong threaded bolts. Unless there is some access to the area where the nuts are located from beneath the car this could be tough to solve. I'm sure going to remember this thread for a long time as how things can go really to pot.

moretech

Last edited by moretech; 07-05-2017 at 04:57 PM.