SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Cranking battery & Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Cranking battery & Roadside Assistance

My cranking battery finally gave up the ghost but it gave me plenty of warning (unlike a lot of newer batteries). Based on what I have read here, I did check Advance Auto parts and they wanted $245 and would have to order it. I registered with MB roadside assistance and was surprised to learn that I have free service for life. I told them I need a new battery and they put me on hold for less than a minute to find availability and pricing. Our local dealer had one for just under $200 and they could be at my house within 30 minutes. In about 20 minutes they showed up and replaced the battery in about 5 minutes. I was Impressed!! I did observe a couple of interesting things--the technician just disconnected the front battery and didn't disconnect the rear battery first as stated in various blogs and instructions. He stated that is just a myth. I also discovered that the hood has a full open position by releasing a latch on the driver side hinge that allows the hood to open to a full 90 degrees. The failed battery was 5 years old which is not bad for Arizona.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CL550, 2005 SL500, 1984 380SL 1985 Mustang GT
Im in Gilbert AZ, (the next town over). my starter battery is cranking slow some days also. must be time and 110+ degrees! can t wait for that expense too. these cars cant go a week without an issue!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by next2pool
I did observe a couple of interesting things--the technician just disconnected the front battery and didn't disconnect the rear battery first as stated in various blogs and instructions. He stated that is just a myth.
It's not a myth - it is the official instructions per WIS. Roadside guys are often not MBZ or dealership employees and may not know the cars very well. Even when they are, they don't always know much more than how to physically change a battery. Having said that, I am sure many starter batteries have been changed without first disconnecting the consumer battery and all has been well. Personally, I just tend to not take chances.

I also discovered that the hood has a full open position by releasing a latch on the driver side hinge that allows the hood to open to a full 90 degrees.
Yes, most all MBZs have a "service position" for the hood that makes it so much easier to work on them. Many of them have red button on the strut that releases them to raise higher.