SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Clueless in Seattle looking for help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda
Clueless in Seattle looking for help

Hi all, I am a 53 year old attorney in Seattle and thought it might be time for a midlife crisis, even if it is a mild one. I really like the R230 look, and the used ones seem ridiculously cheap.

I was looking at an SL55 AMG, but some very helpful folks over in that area sort of suggested that I might be happier with a 500/550/600.

I drive a Mazda right now, and cars have always been a practical thing for me. So this is new territory. Given that I am moving from a 4 cylinder Japanese car, any thoughts on whether a 500. 550 or 600 would make the most sense, and should I look for an AMG model?

I am totally clueless here, and my concern is the cost of ownership. A $5,000 repair bill would really make me unhappy.

Any guidance would be welcome. Thanks.

Matt
Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Search for a buyers guide on the R230. They are cheap because many owners can't stand the repair costs.

This is a great DIY car, as the repairs at a dealer can run $3K/year. As a DIY guy myself, I spend about $2K/year on tires, brakes, fixes and tools (Star Diagnostics PC - a must have for this car). You will need a good independent mechanic who knows Mercedes to have as a friend. And there are plenty here who can help you.

The AMG is simply more power, with no model specific negatives, and the preferred model in my opinion. You get all of the potential Vario roof, ABC, and other potential problems with all the other cars...might as well have 500 HP! The SL600 OTOH has its own special needs (coil packs, engine mounts), and the repairs can be even more costly. It is the most powerful though.

Go drive a couple. See what suits your taste. This is a wonderful topless GT for the masses, and a bargain supercar. You will be blown away coming from a 4 banger.
The following users liked this post:
vasubandu (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Mazda
Thanks so much for the help. I am not able to work on my car myself, and I don't need one with "special needs." Maybe a 550 makes sense.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Before landing on a low mile 2005 SL55 we looked at many SLs before getting lucky. Out of twelve or fifteen cars we were very disappointed.
Find the right car first and take your time.
Vince
vasubandu (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Mazda
Thanks, I appreciate it. I am going to have to find qualified people to advise me because I am not qualified to make that call myself. But you are right, this is not a time to leap before I look. That said, there is a 2004 SL55 AMG with 60,000 miles for $22,500 about 70 miles away right now.

http://click.messages.autotrader.com...fd8d08712f2435

I mean $22,500 would be easy, but not sure what it would do to my insurance. And the fun would definitely end with a $7,000 repair bill. I have concluded that I don't want a turbo because I have read that they are problematic, btu if i understand it correctly, the SL55 has a supercharger, and those are less trouble, but still some.

I feel crazy for even thinking about getting one of these cars to enjoy for a few years before getting serious again. You guys here with all your insane rides both impress and scare me.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
You owe it to yourself to check out as many cars as it takes. Drive out and look at the 04 SL55. Probably the best education is to drive as many as possible. We made day trips to SF and beyond looking at so many cars...
Old 09-28-2017, 10:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by vasubandu
I really like the R230 look, and the used ones seem ridiculously cheap.
my concern is the cost of ownership. A $5,000 repair bill could really make me unhappy.
Thanks so much for the help. I am not able to work on my car myself
Hi Matt,

A used SL, or any MBZ for that matter, is probably not the car for you. There is a reason why these cars that sold new for $100K+ are now selling for 25% of that. It's because as they age, maintenance costs increase. For people who do their own work, these can be a great buy. For people who will rely on a shop for work, they will generally be very unhappy, having to spend thousands of dollars a year on unscheduled maintenance.

The hydraulic Active Body Control system and the Vario roof can both be problematic and expensive to repair. While the engines and transmissions are usually reliable, there are issues with certain years, like the earlier 7-speed transmission (pre-MY2009) and the 5.5l "SL550" V8 (pre-MY2009) and the 6.2l "SL63" V8 (pre-My2011).

I mean $22,500 would be easy, but not sure what it would do to my insurance.
Insurance is another issue. Generally speaking, it should not be very expensive if you have a good driving record and no teens on your policy. However, you need to shop around! My wife and I have excellent driving records and credit scores, and had a great rate through Hartford/AARP. However, they decided they did not want to do business in Alabama any ore, so our renewal rates went through the roof.

As I shopped around, I had problems getting the SL insured for a reasonable price. A few companies would not insure it all. Some that would were $1000 or more higher. Our independent agent got us good rates. Hers and mine together with low deductibles and high limits is about $1600/yr (she has a new Cadillac XT5 crossover). You just need to find the right company.
vasubandu (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:56 AM

Mazda
Wow this was perfectly stated. And it all makes perfect sense. I am going to look for another toy to satisfy my itch. Your point about why the value falls so much is a great one that I had not really considered.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Wow this was perfectly stated. And it all makes perfect sense. I am going to look for another toy to satisfy my itch. Your point about why the value falls so much is a great one that I had not really considered.
Show me a car that has held it's value any better. The car in the ad you've posted is 15 years old.

Fantastic condition, all service records. You'd be crazy not to look at it.

Or you go spend 40K on a new vehicle that's worth 30k when you drive it off the lot.

Any and every used car you look at COULD have a problem. Good Grief, you've let a Doomsdayer talk you out of what would most likely be the most fun you've ever had owning and driving an automobile.

Any and all used cars need maintenance and serviced.
Heatwave (10-02-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Too bad I'm on the opposite corner of the country (WA vs SC) because I've got the perfect car for you. 2003 SL 500 with only 27,650 miles. I'm the second owner and this car's never had any issues. Black with stone leather. Sport package, pano roof, Parktronic. And at $18,900 it fits your budget well. I'm selling only because we've moved from OH to SC and have 3 cars with a 2 car garage.
Don't let the naysayers talk you out of buying a SL. Remember that on these forums you get the complainers 5 to 1 over the happy ppl.
The following 3 users liked this post by anothercar:
compaddict (09-29-2017), Heatwave (10-02-2017), vasubandu (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:16 PM

Mazda
Out of curiosity, did they significantly improve the cars over the years? I know there were changes in 2006 and 2008, but I don't even know what they did to the appearance. Doubt I would care. But I assumed than an 08 or 09 would be a better bet than an 03. Sounds like a great deal.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Out of curiosity, did they significantly improve the cars over the years? I know there were changes in 2006 and 2008, but I don't even know what they did to the appearance. Doubt I would care. But I assumed than an 08 or 09 would be a better bet than an 03. Sounds like a great deal.
Yes changes have been made....not always improvements. The 03 has 5.0 L V8 with 302 hp and 339 ft lb of torque mated with a 5 speed automatic. Some say it is one of the best engine/tranny combos Mercedes ever made. Later model years have more bells and whistles. The early SL 550's had engine/tranny issues. #1 pain in the *** is the ABC system which can be an expensive fix. Mine has no issues as it's been dealer serviced from the beginning. The best trait of most German makes is that they are ageless. Most ppl do not believe that mine is 14 years old.
Best of luck in your search.
Heatwave (10-02-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by idrive
Show me a car that has held it's value any better. The car in the ad you've posted is 15 years old.

Or you go spend 40K on a new vehicle that's worth 30k when you drive it off the lot.

Any and every used car you look at COULD have a problem. Good Grief, you've let a Doomsdayer talk you out of what would most likely be the most fun you've ever had owning and driving an automobile.

+1
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by idrive

I am not trying to be a "doomsdayer". I'm just trying to match the car to the buyer. The OP pretty clearly said he did not want to have to spend thousands a year in unscheduled maintenance, and also does not have the inclination to DIY these repairs. Wile I'll be the first to sing the praises of the SL (or any MBZ), I also try to be pragmatic. I would never own these cars if i did not DIY. Had I relied on the dealer or even an indy shop to maintain my CLK, I'd have paid twice what it was worth in service. On the SL, I've already replaced an ABC pressure hose, starter, alternator, repaired the pneumatic trunk latch, EIS, and performed a transmission service. Had I paid dealer prices for all that, it would have cost me pretty close to $10K. My out of pocket was is maybe $1200.

Regarding spending $40K one a new car, that's my point - these were NOT "$40K" cars - there were $100K++ cars. There is a reason why the depreciate so much. If they did not require a lot of maintenance, they'd be selling for a lot more. You can pretty much buy any 4-year old out-of-warranty MBZ for half or less than what it sold for new.
Four year old Toyotas don't drop over 50% in value because they don't have all the complexities of MBZ cars that require that extra maintenance.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I am not trying to be a "doomsdayer". I'm just trying to match the car to the buyer. The OP pretty clearly said he did not want to have to spend thousands a year in unscheduled maintenance, and also does not have the inclination to DIY these repairs. Wile I'll be the first to sing the praises of the SL (or any MBZ), I also try to be pragmatic. I would never own these cars if i did not DIY. Had I relied on the dealer or even an indy shop to maintain my CLK, I'd have paid twice what it was worth in service. On the SL, I've already replaced an ABC pressure hose, starter, alternator, repaired the pneumatic trunk latch, EIS, and performed a transmission service. Had I paid dealer prices for all that, it would have cost me pretty close to $10K. My out of pocket was is maybe $1200.

Regarding spending $40K one a new car, that's my point - these were NOT "$40K" cars - there were $100K++ cars. There is a reason why the depreciate so much. If they did not require a lot of maintenance, they'd be selling for a lot more. You can pretty much buy any 4-year old out-of-warranty MBZ for half or less than what it sold for new.
Four year old Toyotas don't drop over 50% in value because they don't have all the complexities of MBZ cars that require that extra maintenance.
You make it sound like you did all of these repairs in the space of 6 weeks. All cars require repairs and maintenance.

A 4 year old Toyota or virtually any car, sells for half of what it was new. Your point of spending 40K on a new car is not well made. The 40k car doesn't compare to the car that sells for more. Whether it's power and or luxury you're getting more when you spend more.

Ever heard of you get what you pay for?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
All of those repairs I did were within about a 6 month period (and the EIS is till not fixed - it still "reboots", just less often after I worked on it)). I'm not bashing MBZ cars. On the contrary, I love them and they are all I drive, but I know what I'm getting into. I have the tools, facilities, skills, and experience to do my own repairs.

Regarding my depreciation comment, I stand behind that. Case in piont, I paid $40K for SL550. It was a one-owner, damage-free five year old car with about 40K on the clock. Sticker price was about $118K. That's 66% depreciation. So, I checked a $40K car: the 2013 Acura TL AWD. Five year old, 40K mile samples sell for over $20K, or less than 50% depreciation. I also checked a Chevy Camaro SS convertible - same thing - $40K new, $22K used, so about a 45% depreciation. The market knows that used MBZ cars are expensive to maintain so they are priced accordingly.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
That depreciation is standard for any high end luxury car. My 2009 Lexus LS460 is about 28% of the sticker price now and it's in immaculate condition 60k miles...and Lexus cars are pretty much bullet proof.

I will admit I was turned off by the talk of high cost repairs with the SL series...but so far with mine (2 months in) it has just been catching up on maintenance by way of fluid changes and a Aux battery. These cars are beautiful and as long as you know what you're getting into, I would say it's worth it.

I'm definitely into listening to the advice of others who know these cars as I know nothing of them only owning one for a couple months. I think many speak from first hand experience and their experience will come in handy when you run into similar issues.

Definitely take some for a test drive and get a feel.