SL/R230: Sad to say goodbye to my SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
Sad to say goodbye to my SL

Hi Folks,

Got my 2004 SL 3 years ago and have loved every minute behind the wheel. It had all the usual problems and was by far the most expensive car to maintain that I ever owned, but it was also the one that brought me the most joy.
The advice I got here was invaluable as I worked with my Indie and got the car in tip top condition.
Sadly, we were rear ended on the final day of a recent 3000 mile road trip from CA up through Oregon, Washington and Idaho, over the border into Alberta and BC and back home via Montana and Arizona. I will never forget the trip and in particular the day we spent cruising around Yellowstone.
The insurance just told me that it's a write off. I put a lot into it this year in preventative maintenance. It was running great and looking good. I was looking forward to many years of fun motoring. Very sad to see it go.

I smile whenever I see a new potential owner pop up here asking 'Should I buy an SL?' They are sophisticated machines and after a certain point they need a lot of looking after. There are many things on this car that will fail when the car reaches a certain age. You can argue that the same can be said about any car, but most cars do not have a sophisticated folding roof, active suspension, drive by wire everything etc. These cars are special and so is the feeling of owning and driving one.

What to do next? My head says 'you don't need a second car, put the money in the bank'. My heart says 'Money in the bank doesn't make you smile every day, find another SL' Maybe I should compromise, use the cash and trade my C300 to get a nice CLS that I might enjoy as much as the SL? Maybe a Porsche could give me smiles without the expense?

Very glad I was an SL owner and thanks to everyone here for sharing your knowledge. Will be sure to let you know if I end up with another SL.

Gary

Last edited by NiceMerc; 10-12-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Gary, I'm sorry to hear you lost the SL. I hope you are OK! I think if I were to not get another convertible, it would be a CLS.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
Sorry for your loss Gary

In case your looking to adopt a replacement I got a beauty that has papers
Good Luck

Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 AM

C300 and SL500
Sad to say goodbye to my SL

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Gary, I'm sorry to hear you lost the SL. I hope you are OK! I think if I were to not get another convertible, it would be a CLS.
We are just fine thanks Rodney. Barely knew we had been bumped, but it took out the rear quarter, deformed the panels and that led to roof problems etc...

I'm shopping Harry, yours looks like a great car and buying form a forum member seems like a good strategy, will PM you for details.

Gary
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 SL550
Glad you're ok and I wish you well on your next adventure, whether it's another SL or...?
The following users liked this post:
NiceMerc (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,224 Likes on 944 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
Originally Posted by NiceMerc
Hi Folks,

Got my 2004 SL 3 years ago and have loved every minute behind the wheel. It had all the usual problems and was by far the most expensive car to maintain that I ever owned, but it was also the one that brought me the most joy...
That really sucks, but glad everyone is OK. Really tough call about what to do next.

My other car is a 2004 Audi TT 225 Quattro. It no way compares with the SL, but neither does the SL compare with it. Both are complete different cars. On the highway, I prefer the SL. But on secondary roads and twisties, you can't beat the TT. The TT is my foul weather car and the SL is my fair weather car.

Not sure what you are looking for, but the all wheel drive of an Audi is unmatched for handling.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 PM

C300 and SL500
Originally Posted by JettaRed

Not sure what you are looking for, but the all wheel drive of an Audi is unmatched for handling.

Good luck.
Appreciate the idea. I got similar input from a very good friend and TT driver in England. I once followed his TT along windy English roads. He was taking a Sunday drive and I was working very hard in an E just to stay with him. I loved that we could drive anything up to 12 hours in the SL and climb out feeling like we could turn around and do it again. We often drive an hour+ each way up to SF and back in the evening and the SL was perfect for that too. I think a GT will suit me and my driving needs better than a fast handling and agile sports car.

I told my indie about the write off. He and the tech who looked after the 2004 were both gutted. They worked hard with me to get it right. I bounced a few ideas off them including Maserati, Jaguar and an 05/06 SL to less than enthusiastic responses. When I said 'How about a later SL?', they looked at each other and nodded. I've done some browsing and the likelihood of parking another SL in my garage is better than 80%. I'm 100% sure I'm going over budget ;-). There's a 50% chance I will look for an 07/08 and a 50% chance it will be a 2013. Now I have to be patient and wait for the right one.

Gary