SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: AWD SL500's - Do they really exist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kia Soul
AWD SL500's - Do they really exist?

Sometime (probably) within the next year, I'm going to be looking for a "new" car (which will be an old car). I'm looking for something sporty, with all-wheel drive for under $20K. I had pretty much narrowed my choices down to a 996 model Porsche 911 Carrera 4/4S or an Audi TT Quattro, both of which can be found to meet those criteria (takes more patience with the Porsche, but they do come up). In the course of looking, though, I've come across a few ads for 2003-2004 SL500's which claim to have all-wheel drive. Everything I've read says that this was before 4Matic was introduced and that, in any case, 4Matic has never been offered on SL-Class cars and there is no indication that AWD was offered on them prior to its introduction. Yet, more than one listing says that the SL500 for sale has AWD. Is this just a case of clueless sellers who are confusing AWD with anti-skid or traction control, or was AWD really offered on these cars? If so, that's a game-changer for me. I know that SL's aren't really sports cars like the Porsche or Audi, but they're classic and probably more suitable for the kind of driving I do these days. By the way, I need AWD because the car will be a 4-season daily driver. I live in the mid-Atlantic (Maryland), so we usually don't get a lot of snow in the winter, but I need to be able to get around when we do. Both the 911 and the TT, with appropriate snow tires, are reputed to be very good in snow (given their ground-clearance limitations). If there really are AWD SL's, how are they in the snow?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
There has never been a AWD SL model, although the rumor is that it'll be offered on the 2019 model year, in what is also rumored to be a significantly redesigned SL 2+2, offered as both a Full time hard top coupe and Ragtop convertible. Folks that are listing AWD are doing so in error. The SL from 2003 - 2018 has a system called ABC (Active Body Control) as well as SBC (Sensotronic Brake Control) and often those aren't offered as selection options on some of the more automated vehicle posting selections -so people choose what they think is the closest, not fully knowing their error.

While an awesome GT cruising vehicle, I wouldn't be the most comfortable using any 300-600 HP rear wheel drive vehicle with a lightish rear end as a daily driver in the snow. A recipe for disaster imo. Like you, I too would be keeping an eye out for a Carrera 4 or Audi A5. Problem with the Audi TT as a snow bound winter daily driver is the lack of ground clearance, but more importantly - those wide rear tires, especially on such a light vehicle. Of course you can go with a more narrow rear wheel for winter, but it's obviously going to look noticably funky sunken into the wheel well.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, AWD was not offered on the R230 SL. Also, "4MATIC" has been around well before the R230.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Kia Soul
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
There has never been a AWD SL model, although the rumor is that it'll be offered on the 2019 model year, in what is also rumored to be a significantly redesigned SL 2+2, offered as both a Full time hard top coupe and Ragtop convertible. Folks that are listing AWD are doing so in error. The SL from 2003 - 2018 has a system called ABC (Active Body Control) as well as SBC (Sensotronic Brake Control) and often those aren't offered as selection options on some of the more automated vehicle posting selections -so people choose what they think is the closest, not fully knowing their error.

While an awesome GT cruising vehicle, I wouldn't be the most comfortable using any 300-600 HP rear wheel drive vehicle with a lightish rear end as a daily driver in the snow. A recipe for disaster imo. Like you, I too would be keeping an eye out for a Carrera 4 or Audi A5. Problem with the Audi TT as a snow bound winter daily driver is the lack of ground clearance, but more importantly - those wide rear tires, especially on such a light vehicle. Of course you can go with a more narrow rear wheel for winter, but it's obviously going to look noticably funky sunken into the wheel well.
Thank you! That's what I figured (unfortunately). With either the 911 or the TT, I plan on getting a second set of wheels shod with narrower dedicated snow tires for the winter. I know they'll look funny, but I can live with it for three or four months out of the year in return for being able to drive the car year-round.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Kia Soul
Originally Posted by Rudeney
No, AWD was not offered on the R230 SL. Also, "4MATIC" has been around well before the R230.
Thank you! That's what I thought (unfortunately). And thanks for the correction re: 4Matic.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Even with AWD, consider issues with "snow tracks" and the low ride height of those cars. Honestly, the SL would probably do as well as any FWD car in snow as it has a good bit of weight over the rear drive wheels, and a good traction control system. The main issue would be the low clearance. Of course the SL with ABC can raise about an inch and a half, so that helps some. I am lucky - we have almost no snow here, and when we do, the whole city shuts down because we have no clearing equipment. I did once get stuck at work in my CLK550 when a freak snow storm hit. I tried to make it home, and would have, except for all the idiots who got stuck and jammed up the roads. The CLK did quite well. i was able to navigate hills and curves using "Comfort" mode and the TouchShift to regulate my speed.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Kia Soul
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Even with AWD, consider issues with "snow tracks" and the low ride height of those cars. Honestly, the SL would probably do as well as any FWD car in snow as it has a good bit of weight over the rear drive wheels, and a good traction control system. The main issue would be the low clearance. Of course the SL with ABC can raise about an inch and a half, so that helps some. I am lucky - we have almost no snow here, and when we do, the whole city shuts down because we have no clearing equipment. I did once get stuck at work in my CLK550 when a freak snow storm hit. I tried to make it home, and would have, except for all the idiots who got stuck and jammed up the roads. The CLK did quite well. i was able to navigate hills and curves using "Comfort" mode and the TouchShift to regulate my speed.
My first car was a 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 and I got stuck in it a few times. The most annoying was about a half mile from home, driving down my plowed street. Because of the low ground clearance, it bottomed out and came to a dead stop while driving down the street. Fortunately, there was no-one parked on the side and I was able to back it up and parallel park it and walk the rest of the way. That was on performance tires, though. After I got rid of that car, I promised myself I would never have another rear-drive performance car as my primary transportation. I understand what you mean about "snow tracks," but, from what I've read, the Carrera 4 with agressive snow tires is very good in the snow and, in any case, I wouldn't be driving it in anything more than three to four inches. Anything more than that and my wife and I will have to share "her" crossover. :-)