SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: White Smoke from exhaust on WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes SL 500 Roadster
White Smoke from exhaust on WOT

I just purchased this car and it has 222,000kms on it. It has been parked outside under the trees for 2 years in alberta canada in the rain snow and shine. It was parked with a full tank of premium and no fuel stabalizer added. I had a few minor issues already which most were related to a bad aux battery. I replaced and those issues stopped, The big issues I have now are the Retractable roof wont open, When I try it says that the retractable trunk cover is not closed. However it is. Is there a possibility that it needs to be reset or relearnt to the system?? also my next issue is that it is blowing white smoke out the tail pipes when I put the throttle down. It only does this OCCASIONALLY. I can drive all over town with NO ISSUES other than when I punch it to accelerate fast then it will blow smoke. I was told by the mercedes dealership that the cataylitic converter may have sediment in it and it will eventually burn off. I took it out of town and no smoke even at 120kms/hr until I punch it and then the white smoke pours out until I let off. I parked and checked my oil level which said it was actually overfull and then the coolant which was full. A bad head gasket would leak either coolant or oil? both are full. My question is could it be bad gas? Bad plugs? I did notice yesturday that even just starting it it poured smoke immediately but then today no issues of smoke at all. Also the heater wont blow hot air unless I am revving up over 1300rpm. It did throw a code of P0300 Multiple cylinder Misfire Damages Catalytic Converter!! Any help would be great.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Travis Kendall
The big issues I have now are the Retractable roof wont open, When I try it says that the retractable trunk cover is not closed. However it is.
It could be due to the flaps in the trunk. There are two flaps that open when roof is open.If they do not close completely, the roof will not operate. Open the trunk lid, and gently push flaps up towards the lid. If you feel or hear a click, that means that micro switch that indicates flap position was not closed. Flap position could be adjusted with a nut on the pivoting cable.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedez SL500 2004
Originally Posted by Travis Kendall
I just purchased this car and it has 222,000kms on it. It has been parked outside under the trees for 2 years in alberta canada in the rain snow and shine. It was parked with a full tank of premium and no fuel stabalizer added. I had a few minor issues already which most were related to a bad aux battery. I replaced and those issues stopped, The big issues I have now are the Retractable roof wont open, When I try it says that the retractable trunk cover is not closed. However it is. Is there a possibility that it needs to be reset or relearnt to the system?? also my next issue is that it is blowing white smoke out the tail pipes when I put the throttle down. It only does this OCCASIONALLY. I can drive all over town with NO ISSUES other than when I punch it to accelerate fast then it will blow smoke. I was told by the mercedes dealership that the cataylitic converter may have sediment in it and it will eventually burn off. I took it out of town and no smoke even at 120kms/hr until I punch it and then the white smoke pours out until I let off. I parked and checked my oil level which said it was actually overfull and then the coolant which was full. A bad head gasket would leak either coolant or oil? both are full. My question is could it be bad gas? Bad plugs? I did notice yesturday that even just starting it it poured smoke immediately but then today no issues of smoke at all. Also the heater wont blow hot air unless I am revving up over 1300rpm. It did throw a code of P0300 Multiple cylinder Misfire Damages Catalytic Converter!! Any help would be great.
Same problem Travis for my SL500 2004 - Did you find the problem earlier ?

This started for me after a routine oil change.