SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Cannot Lower Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 MB SL500
Cannot Lower Roof

Have been a loyal “reader” for approx. 8 years and received many helpful suggestions to keep my 2006 Sl500 running flawlessly at low cost. This my first post. A few months ago, repaired left trunk flap (dropped approx. 3 inches) with new part 230 750 01 11 using the helpful info on this site with no problems (approx. 90 minutes for this old man). Decided to repair right side trunk flap since I had the part (no issues – top operated correctly). Replacement went very smoothly (since I am now an “expert”) with no issues. When I tried to lower roof, roof would not lower, no noise from pump, nothing. Red lights were blinking on top lever and “visit workshop” on dashboard screen. Checked trunk lid and cover for correct operation, appears operating correctly. Disconnected trunk battery and tried again (“visit workshop” still on). Disassembled to check the two switches on flap (appeared ok, making clicking noise, cleaned with contact cleaner, still not working. The only difference was the roof was in the trunk when I replaced the left side, right side roof up (similar to the helpful procedure from this site). Does the dealer or shop have to reset the roof electronics. I do not have the capability to analyze codes/errors at home.Again, many thanks for all the support over the years, and any helpful suggestions to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated. Weather is currently “top down” conditions in Texas
Thank, Bill
Old 11-29-2017, 06:42 PM

2006 MB SL500
I checked the resistance with a Volt/ohms meter and it appears one of the micro switches are “open”. The other micro switch appears to operate correctly. Does anyone have the correct part number for the switches? The two switches appear may be sold as a unit (two wires from each switch into a four wire connection which connects to the wire harness on the trunk lid. I called to local MB dealer, but I believe they gave me the wrong part numbers. Also google search was not much help. Will take flap to dealer tomorrow, may have better luck. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
See if this is of any help. If you have determined which switch it is from the "S" number in the diagnostic aid then tell them you need that particular switch. I hope this helps.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/18425406/...7-03-02#scribd
Old 12-03-2017, 12:19 PM

2006 MB SL500
Thank you for forwarding the link/diagnostic aid. From the diagnostic aid it shows S127/1 as the bad switch (open). I took the flap (with switch still attached) to the MB dealer to ensure correct part to order. The correct part number is 230-820-70-10 for the right side and 230-820-50-10 for the left side. Part was $36.00 plus tax (found cheaper online, but want to see physical switch to ensure correct part). Fair price for switch (two microswitches, plastic holder and wire connector). Top is now working correctly.For me, lesson learned, because a switch makes the same “good” clicking noise as the other switches does not mean it is good (my first try with an ohms meter was not successful because the meter probes were to big to reach micro switch contact points (old $5.00 meter from Harbor Freight worked correctly). After all this hassle to locate correct part number, found part number on the cover of the switch when I was cleaning up (removed cover of switch as first step and place in “safe” location