SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2004 SL500 ...when you press on the brake is it suppose to click?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes
2004 SL500 ...when you press on the brake is it suppose to click?

It started giving me a little bit of a hard time to get into drive about a month ago. Sometimes it would engage to drive after it warmed up. I kept getting the low battery light so I thought maybe it was a weak battery . I replaced the battery with a oem dealer battery . I disconnected the battery for about 3 minutes not sure if that was enough time to reset a ecu. So even with a new battery I still have to hammer the shifter to get it into drive. I heard about the plastic part but I also heard it could be the brake light switch under the pedal. When I press on the brake I don't hear a click...wondered if that was a sure sign the switch is broken. I'm gonna start with the cheapest part and work my way up . Should I leave the battery disconnected for longer than 3 minutes? Maybe it's still thinking it's the old battery.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
Have a helper step on the brake pedal several times and see if brake lights are on each stroke. If not brake switch may be bad. If they work fine it is probably the shifter plastic part. I had to replace mine.

moretech
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
The click sound is the solenoid that actuates the lock out lever. If you are having troubles getting it out of park, you should get the lock out lever changed ASAP. Removing the console requires being able to move the shift lever out of park. If the shifter cannot be moved out of park because of a broken lever, things get much more difficult (and expensive).
Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Originally Posted by JaySee56
The click sound is the solenoid that actuates the lock out lever. If you are having troubles getting it out of park, you should get the lock out lever changed ASAP. Removing the console requires being able to move the shift lever out of park. If the shifter cannot be moved out of park because of a broken lever, things get much more difficult (and expensive).
+1 to that statement. Do the shift lever repair now with an aluminum replacement part. Likely the plastic part is hanging by a thread.
Let us know what you find.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Is there a definitive guide to doing this procedure, preferably with pics? I've found a few that discuss certain aspects of it, but can't seem to find one that documents the whole thing.

-V
Old 02-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
The definitive version is WIS. ;-) but try http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...er-repair.html. Like kbob999, I installed the aluminum lever. Put a big gob of grease on it during assembly as it is a bit noisier than the plastic one when actuated. (but the sound is reassuring!) I spent way too much time trying to undo the shift linkage from inside the cabin as some people claim. It can't be done. Bite the bullet, get the car up in the air (play safe people!) and get underneath to undo the other end.
jc
The following users liked this post:
Vendetta (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by JaySee56
The definitive version is WIS. ;-) but try http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...er-repair.html. Like kbob999, I installed the aluminum lever. Put a big gob of grease on it during assembly as it is a bit noisier than the plastic one when actuated. (but the sound is reassuring!) I spent way too much time trying to undo the shift linkage from inside the cabin as some people claim. It can't be done. Bite the bullet, get the car up in the air (play safe people!) and get underneath to undo the other end.
jc
Thank you, JC. Good advice about getting under the car rather than trying to get lucky finessing the linkage from up top.
-V