SL/R230: Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Electrical problems

Hey everyone,
some what if a newbie ... hoping to get some guidance.
Move has my ‘03 SL55 for 3 years now. I keep getting the following problems and I searched the treads a lot and can’t find out the issue.
the issue I’m having is the following .... when I turn on my car I get either Left license plate or Right license plate is not working.... just changed them a couple months ago. Same time the left headlight won’t turn on. Have to turn my headlights off and on several times until the left one turns on. The license plate lamps are random between which one doesn’t work, sometimes both sometimes just one. The left headlamp is also sometimes, but it’sbecomogn more consistent.... don’t know what to do. Anyone experience this before?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, welcome to the forum!

On the license plate light, you may need to disassembly the housing and check for corrosion on the bulb contacts. As for the headlight, it sounds like the ignitor may be failing. I am not sure on the R230, but in other cars, it's inside the housing whereas the ballast is on the bottom. To get to these parts, you'll have to remove the headlight assembly, which means removing the front bumper. It's not a very difficult job, but more than a few bolts to deal with