SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 05 SL500 driver seat issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
05 SL500 driver seat issues

I can still adjust the power seat controls on the door panel..BUT... the pulse controls and all the related functions/buttons on that "floor panel" (for lack of better description) don't seem to work on driver's side or do anything, but they work on passenger's side. I read it can be PSE pump but I have PDL, soft trunk close and passenger seat controls all working. I can still adjust the driver's power seat controls on the door panel.

Another wrinkle: car was recently cleaned and detailed due to broken glass and they had to remove driver's seat only. This was NOT done by a Mercedes shop. Maybe during removal or re-install they overlooked connecting something or an airline got pinched?? Can anybody direct me on how to trouble-shoot and isolate problem, maybe some basic things to check to identify where my problem lies. Switch check? Fuse?

Not 100% sure on the control functionality prior to shop removing seat. I just bought this from my friend and he never used these controls so he can't say for sure. Still seems too coincidental to me that shop removed seat and it doesn't work.

thnx very much for any/all assistance.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Goon
the pulse controls and all the related functions/buttons on that "floor panel" (for lack of better description) don't seem to work on driver's side...car was recently cleaned and detailed due to broken glass and they had to remove driver's seat only
Hmm, I think these are related! My guess is that the pneumatic hose was no properly reconnected, or it was broken or pinched.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 AM

2005 SL500
my friend says he has pic, all they did was lift seat up and vacuum underneath. I retorted, so did one guy levitate seat a few inches in the air while someone worked around him and vacuumed up glass? Perhaps they never completely removed it but removed fasteners and worked around it, pivoted/tilted it, etc.. STILL...i think it could cause line disconnection.

Rudeney, I read your pre-PM message. The SDS/Star Diagnostics.... Does this require special Mercedes specific equipment? I have an OBDII reader I've used on many other cars to clear codes, diagnose, etc... Can a layperson affordably acquire the diagnostic tool or a good after-market version?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
It's pretty common for that vacuum hose from the PSE pump to tear or break under the carpet where the seat sits. The PSE pump won't kill every circuit if it detects a leak on 1 of the lines, but it will time-out that 1 circuit essentially killing it until the unit is reset. If it were me I would check to make sure everything is still connected correctly, then remove the seat and check the vacuum line where it runs down and into the carpet under the seat.
The following users liked this post:
Goon (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM

2005 SL500
if i go to remove seat and check line, anything special i need to watch/be aware of? Any other vehicle seat I've ever removed involved undoing 4 nuts or bolts and unhooking Power seat harness. This seems to have a lot more going on so i don't want to wreck anything.

Sorry to switch gears on you racin_fool, but i also plan to do front and rear brakes soon (rears still have a fair amount left but fronts are low). In another post, i believe Rudeney told me to disconnect a fuse to disable some sort of system to save a later disaster. Is there a "sticky" in here to assist me with brake job? I've done tons of brake jobs on my trucks and cars, all of which were japanese and american made stuff. Oh...and my brother's mini.... so one Euro car And on his mini, I ended up disabling the low brake pad warning feature. My line of thinking was that for the past 40 years i was able to check brakes regularly by actually looking at them and keeping track of wear, listening for pad squealers, etc..
Old 02-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
'01 CLK 430 cab, '04 SL500 (200K miles)
I had the same problem, vacuum hose was broke.
Make sure not to turn the ignition on while the seat is out or you'll get an SRS fault.
You can see some pics from my thread here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...unk-fixed.html
The following users liked this post:
Goon (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Regarding diagnostic tools, SDS (Star Diagnosis) is the most functional, but it is costly and can have a learning curve in terms of both how to use it and the technical skills required to get it working on a PC. It pretty much does it all - it reads and resets fault codes from all systems and does all coding, except for operations that would require a live connection ot MBZ corporate. Another alternative is iCarsoft (i9980 or MBII versions). This will (supposedly) read and reset codes from all systems, but does not coding. I understand it may have some ability to perform "actuations" like enabling and disabling SBC, which is required for working on the brakes. As for brake work, you MUST disable SBC or risk it engaging while doing work. That engagement could damage both you and to the car. I understand it is possible to deactivate SBC by pulling a fuse, disconnecting the SBC control unit's wiring harness, or even the vehicle's batteries. That is fine for safely working on the system, but it does not perform the necessary re-calibration of the system when it is activated. For that, you need SDS, or maybe iCarsoft doe that? I have no personal experience with iCarsoft and can only go by what others have posted about it.