SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2005 GPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL63 ANG Acura MDX
2005 GPS

Just recently purchased a 2005 SL 550 AMG. It in my shop till Spring then I will start driving it when the weather improves

My question s there a good on line tutorial on how to use the GPS and 2005 SL ?

Brad Wollen
Old 02-10-2018, 11:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/only_..._manualsguides
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
It was pretty intuitive for me to learn how to use it. But of course it depends on person and abilities. Map itself looks odd if you used Google Maps on phone. So for long distance trips I use the car's Navi to save the charge in phone itself, but in town I prefer the phone, since response time is better and the map looks much more updated.

But still I was impressed how the system is easy to use, considering it being 15 years old, or even more 😊 MB did a good job with it!

Regards
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's good until you you a really good modern system. If you read the various consumer reviews, Chrysler's Uconnect seems to be one of the best. That's what my wife's last car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, had. It was pretty good. She now has a Cadillac XT5 with CUE and it's actually better in some way. The voice control is VERY good. You can just activate voice input and say "navigate to 405 Euclid Avenue Tampa Florida" and it does it. On COMAND, you have to answer "yes" to changes state, then say the state, then pick it from a list, then say "yes" you want to enter a city, then say it, then pick from a list, then the same steps for street, and then you have to say (and wait for acknowledgement) of each house number digit.

One nice thing about COMAND that some people may not know is that you can use the keypad to enter text, just like in the old days of texting on a flip phone. The other I do really like about COMAND is that it has hard buttons. I hate having to go through several touch screen menus to get to something. One thing I am noticing in newer cars is that they are getting away from touch screens. They have found that it's better to have the screen higher on the dash so you can keep the road in your visual field (hence the tacked-on tablet look of the new MBZ cars). This means your interface is a knob or touchpad on the center console. That seems confusing at first, but after you learn the gestures, it seems to work pretty well.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
That's exactly what I meant - when It came out it was a good system. Nowadays it's old, just like any technology from that decade.

In regards of navigation itself I barely use it in city, because I know all the places I go or I prefer to use it as little as possible to learn the streets or locations - keep learning while I can 😊 and because English is not my first language the voice recognition has hard time understanding what I say if I use it when top down. That's my case.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you every drive a car with Android Auto and use Waze on your Android phone, you'll never want to go back to "navigation" again. Of course Waze is available on the iPhone, but I believe Apple prohibits Waze from using their Car Play interface, so this only works for for Android users.