SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: "Electric consumer offline" message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
"Electric consumer offline" message

This message keeps showing up on my '03 SL500.

Previously, this car has been sitting in my garage for the past 2 years because of a broken transmission. About a week ago I took to my friends house and had it fix, so it runs fine now. I've tried charging the battery all the way and to no avail this message still pops up. The interior lights, speakers, heated seats, and that dvd player behind the drivers seat doesn't work. Even the roll bars and hard top don't come down anymore.

I was thinking that maybe while my car was at my friends house, that maybe a wire got disconnected? I don't know what do you guys think?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Most common error ever for an R230.
Pull the rear battery out and have it tested. Most likely it needs to be replaced.
Most likely it will resolve all your other issues.
Use the search feature to find the proper non-MB battery, and resolve other problems you have like this.
Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
xZyron (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by kbob999
Most common error ever for an R230.
Pull the rear battery out and have it tested. Most likely it needs to be replaced.
Most likely it will resolve all your other issues.
Use the search feature to find the proper non-MB battery, and resolve other problems you have like this.
Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into replacing the battery as it does sound like its the issue, especially since its been pretty sitting flat for the past two years
Old 02-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
What sort of problem did you have with your "03 trans? I have an "03 and I like to know what can happen to them. The 5 spd seem pretty reliable generally. How many miles on it?

moretech
Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 R230
consumer Batt

Interesting enough, just before I bought my car the PO replaced the Consumer battery. It sat in my garage for about 3 weeks while I went over the car and detailed it. After all the crummy weather broke, I went for a much-desired spin in my new ride only to find out the "consumer off-line" message was on the screen. After a 20 minute ride, it had recharged the battery enough to regain all functions. On the way home I stopped by the Indy shop that had replaced the battery and inquired as to why it would have drained down like it did. They thought it was most likely due to the time the doors were open while I detailed the car combined with the long time without running. They also advised that when storing the car for more than a few days without running it that you should do so with the car locked. By locking the car it puts it into "deep sleep" and prolongs the battery life. Is this true, has anyone else heard this or am I just getting a line of talk to cover a possible bad battery?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by White Spyder
Interesting enough, just before I bought my car the PO replaced the Consumer battery. It sat in my garage for about 3 weeks while I went over the car and detailed it. After all the crummy weather broke, I went for a much-desired spin in my new ride only to find out the "consumer off-line" message was on the screen. After a 20 minute ride, it had recharged the battery enough to regain all functions. On the way home I stopped by the Indy shop that had replaced the battery and inquired as to why it would have drained down like it did. They thought it was most likely due to the time the doors were open while I detailed the car combined with the long time without running. They also advised that when storing the car for more than a few days without running it that you should do so with the car locked. By locking the car it puts it into "deep sleep" and prolongs the battery life. Is this true, has anyone else heard this or am I just getting a line of talk to cover a possible bad battery?

Thanks!
I think that what you experienced is pretty normal and most of us keep a battery maintainer hooked up to the consumer battery. I have never heard the theory about locking the doors to reduce drain--I sort of doubt it but would be great if true.