SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Chores done

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL500
Chores done

I did 3 outstanding chores on my SL500 over the weekend.
1. Third Brake Light replace which was easy and made easier by dropping the drive to the flaps to enable more room to get the old unit out.
Every clip broke as such, I have still to put the liner back up - 12 clips A0009905792
2. Spangler (I think that's what its called) fix. By removing the corner panels and using the hinge replacement and flap.
3. Flushed the ABC and replaced filter.

Those of you that are sceptical about having to replace the oil as a service item need to re-appraise your line of thought.
No way the oil that came out of my system should have been allowed to be in that environment any longer than that it was.
It was absolutely filthy and there were metal particles in the bottom of my previously clean bucket.
I definitely noticed a change in the up and down response times and the lift system is now definitely smoother.
It definitely makes a difference IMHO

Once I get my shed powered up so I can use my hoist I will do the engine mounts.

Last edited by ozc204; 04-08-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 R230
Originally Posted by ozc204
I did 3 outstanding chores on my SL500 over the weekend.
1. Third Brake Light replace which was easy and made easier by dropping the drive to the flaps to enable more room to get the old unit out.
Every clip broke as such, I have still to put the liner back up - 12 clips A0009905792
2. Spangler (I think that's what its called) fix. By removing the corner panels and using the hinge replacement and flap.
3. Flushed the ABC and replaced filter.

Those of you that are sceptical about having to replace the oil as a service item need to re-appraise your line of thought.
No way the oil that came out of my system should have been allowed to be in that environment any longer than that it was.
It was absolutely filthy and there were metal particles in the bottom of my previously clean bucket.
I definitely noticed a change in the up and down response times and the lift system is now definitely smoother.
It definitely makes a difference IMHO

Once I get my shed powered up so I can use my hoist I will do the engine mounts.

Agree with you on the ABC fluid flush.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL500
Further to this - I might be dreaming but my suspension in general feels tighter and more responsive as well
Just a lot more positive on the road.