SL/R230: 2006 SL55 Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, CLS550
Question 2006 SL55 Radio

Hi there!

I am interested in purchasing a 2006 SL55. I am wondering what the "best" set up is to be able to connect my iPhone to the system's COMAND unit without having many visible differences. If there is an aftermarket stereo that is recommended, which would be the best and how would I get it to sit in the center stack correctly? I would like to avoid doing that as then I would need to get a new amp and everything as it is fiber optic with the Bose system.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Do you mean for hands-free calling, or music streaming? For hands-free calling, if the car has the MBZ phone system option installed, then all you need is a "puck" to connect to the MHI connector in the center console. If it does not have the phone interface, then it's generally far too expensive to retrofit - you'r better off replacing the audio system. Note that there may be a mention of "phone wiring" or "pre-wiring" - that is NOT the phone interface. Get the VIN and I can tell you if it has the actual interface, or look for a connector like this in the center console:

For music streaming, if the car has the iPod interface, you can get a Bluetooth adapter for that. It plugs into the old style Apple 30-pin connector and then talks Bluetooth to any streaming device. Amazon sells them for around $70.

If you do decide to replace the radio, there are some aftermarket solutions that still look "factory" and are somewhat plug-and-play. Search the forums for Seicane and Dynavin.

Last edited by Rudeney; 05-02-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, CLS550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Do you mean for hands-free calling, or music streaming? For hands-free calling, if the car has the MBZ phone system option installed, then all you need is a "puck" to connect to the MHI connector in the center console. If it does not have the phone interface, then it's generally far too expensive to retrofit - you'r better off replacing the audio system. Note that there may be a mention of "phone wiring" or "pre-wiring" - that is NOT the phone interface. Get the VIN and I can tell you if it has the actual interface, or look for a connector like this in the center console:

For music streaming, if the car has the iPod interface, you can get a Bluetooth adapter for that. It plugs into the old style Apple 30-pin connector and then talks Bluetooth to any streaming device. Amazon sells them for around $70.

If you do decide to replace the radio, there are some aftermarket solutions that still look "factory" and are somewhat plug-and-play. Search the forums for Seicane and Dynavin.
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at mostly music streaming from my phone. What I'm most concerned about is keeping it looking stock, with added functionality. It doesn't have the iPod interface. My biggest concern with an aftermarket head unit is the face that the Bose amp is fiber optic and I would have to do a lot more, but I did find a module that added iPod functionality that works with the stock radio.
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-77-mer...r-gw51mo2.aspx
Old 12-15-2022, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG
Just bought a seicane unit for my 06 sl55 $800 I’ll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Phillip Bagshaw
Hi there!

I am interested in purchasing a 2006 SL55. I am wondering what the "best" set up is to be able to connect my iPhone to the system's COMAND unit without having many visible differences. If there is an aftermarket stereo that is recommended, which would be the best and how would I get it to sit in the center stack correctly? I would like to avoid doing that as then I would need to get a new amp and everything as it is fiber optic with the Bose system.

Thanks!