SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Top Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
Top Problems

Has anyone encountered problems with the operation of the retractable top on a 2003 SL?

All of a sudden the top will operate properly until the trunk lid is to close completely. The lid will close on the passenger's side, but on the driver's side it will remain open about 6 to 8 inches. I have opened and closed the top several times with no luck.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Does the trunk lid close properly when the roof is raised and not when the roof is lowered? If so, something is obstructing the trunk from closing on one side; check the fold out flaps are working on both sides. It's a good idea to try opening the roof from outside the car using the key and infra-red; you can stop the operation and check what is going on. However, best not to mess with it because if the trunk lid is being twisted as you suggest, it could go out of alignment which will make matters worse. Something for the dealer to work on I think.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 AM

SL500
Yep - this happened to me.

Bolt come loose in one side of the roof scissor action, fell out and meant that part of the mechanism didn't prime properly. Take it to the dealer and they should be able to fix easily.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:49 AM

SL 500
Thanks for the help.

Everything closes properly except the trunk lid. I have an appointment to get it checked out by the dealer. Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by PAWolfpacker
Thanks for the help.

Everything closes properly except the trunk lid. I have an appointment to get it checked out by the dealer. Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty.
There is no way they can punt this out of warranty.
Cheers!
Old 06-03-2004, 08:59 PM

SL 500
Thumbs up

Update:

The dealer was able to correct the problem. It required several days of diagnosis and ordering a part from CA, but all is well. The warranty covered all repairs.

On a side note, the dealer said my car was the first to come in with vario-roof problems. I take that as a good sign for the rest of the owners out there.