SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Installing Curb Alert Pro sensor on 2005 SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Installing Curb Alert Pro sensor on 2005 SL?

Hello, All. I am tired of scraping the curb with the bottom of my front bumper when parking, but I apparently have bad depth perception and keep doing it!
I found this curb alert pro system (http://www.brandmotion.com/curb-alert-4.html#) that will make an audible sound when I get within a certain distance. I have a 2005 SL500 with the AMG package, so the bottom of the bumper cover is smooth (no air dam). It seems to be posing a challenge on where to install the sensor, even for my body shop guy AND the BrandMotion technical rep. My body shop guy is hesitant because he read reviews that a guy with an SL had taken it to two different installers with no luck, and he doesn't want to experience similar failure. Has anyone installed one of these on a similar car, and can offer advice?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Originally Posted by Sparrow77
Hello, All. I am tired of scraping the curb with the bottom of my front bumper when parking, but I apparently have bad depth perception and keep doing it!
I found this curb alert pro system (http://www.brandmotion.com/curb-alert-4.html#) that will make an audible sound when I get within a certain distance. I have a 2005 SL500 with the AMG package, so the bottom of the bumper cover is smooth (no air dam). It seems to be posing a challenge on where to install the sensor, even for my body shop guy AND the BrandMotion technical rep. My body shop guy is hesitant because he read reviews that a guy with an SL had taken it to two different installers with no luck, and he doesn't want to experience similar failure. Has anyone installed one of these on a similar car, and can offer advice?
I was wondering if there was such devices..thanks for this. I have learned to raise my car up if I'm not sure it will clear a curb. Or, I just assure I don't pull all the way forward. I might look stupid to onlookers for not pulling all the way into a parking spot but, they are not the ones cringing when the front bumper/spoiler makes contact! It also helps to look at the reflection of your cars nose on cars parked next to you. Depending on the color of your car and the car next to you, you can get a good reflection of how far or close your front bumper is to the obstacle! Try it sometime.