SL/R230: Vario very slow - Problem resolved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500 Base
Vario very slow - Problem resolved

Hi there folks,

I have a 2005 SL500 (R230) with well over 124,000 miles and recently encountered a problem with the Vario roof system. Back in 2009 /2010, I added the re-enforcement modification to the flaps that corrected a sagging flap on the driver's side that keep the roof from working correctly. I have also added the remote system (Mods for cars) and can't say enough about how much I like that little box. Anyway, just a couple of days ago, I was operating the top and noticed that midway when going down or up, the main roof "stalled" and took an extraordinary long time. Around 30-40 seconds. It still got there, but something was up. The next day, I was checking it out in the garage and the top again stalled but eventually retracted, but the trunk (boot to my UK friends), failed to close leaving about a 4-5 inch gap. Yikes! I eventually screwed up enough courage to give it a pretty good shove and luckily it finished the closing sequence.

Following the lead of others on the forum, I started researching as to what to do, and soon discovered what turned out to be a simple answer. The Vario pump was simply low on fluid. It was well below the minimum triangle mark on the reservoir housing. Like many SL owners on this forum, I'll bet they have some spare CHF-11 hydraulic fluid. I know I have some. Problem was, how to get it into the pump? A $66-$70 layout for the official Mercedes filler tool, essentially a large plastic syringe, a section of plastic hose and a cap that threads into the input fill port on the block assembly, was way too much. Nope, there has to be a cheaper way, and here was my answer to that. I went to Harbor Freight (suspect a trip to Target or Walmart would get you the same thing) and got a simple plastic squeeze bottle, like the kind you would use to squirt out ketchup. The nice thing about this, is the ability to cut back the bottle outlet to just the right size to make a "water" tight connection to the pump fill port. I also realized that the fill port has a very restrictive inlet. Don't expect to quickly fill the reservoir. Take your time and it will be fine. I also noticed that the fluid level is slow to indicate the final level so wait a minute or two before making any final adjustment.

I then cycled to roof up and down a few times, and re-checked the level. I'm glad I did because the level dropped a bit, prompting me to put it back at the near maximum level. The final result? A perfectly operating Vario roof that seems to be a bit faster and certainly more robust. I'm sure many of you question as to why the fluid was so low to begin with. I have the same question and I have looked at the block assembly for obvious signs of leakage, and at the front roof latch housings. While I didn't find anything, I'll be closely monitoring the fluid level, and if I discover it dropping, then more trouble shooting is in order. I have most of the service records for this SL, and don't see any mention of any repairs and/or service to the roof or the associated assemblies. Who knows? My guess is that it hasn't been checked since 2005, but I know I just checked it today, LOL!

Cheers to all...
In the mean time, let's put the top down and go for a ride!

Last edited by Dable; 05-31-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
MImagna (05-29-2022)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
110% sure your front latch cylinder O-ring is leaking, you need to pull the headliner and check out that leak, i fixed my over the weekend. Not a bad job, if you don't fix it now, the fluid will drip to the passenger side trim and your fabric liner will shrivel up and come loose. Looks like a ribbon.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500 Base
Thanks, I'll take your advice and look at it this weekend. If I do find it to be at fault, could you please let me know what O-ring replacement part you used to correct the problem? Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Yup, the part can be bought on ebay, and if you scroll down a few posts, someone named White Spyder have posted very detailed instructions on how to replace it. The part is about $13 shipped, it might last only a year or two but it's a lot cheaper than spending 400 on a new lock cylinder.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by Dable
If I do find it to be at fault, could you please let me know what O-ring replacement part you used to correct the problem?
The original part is a lip seal -- not an o-ring. I used o-rings to reseal the cylinders on a 1991 SL last fall, and now this spring one-by-one they are leaking again. My advice is to obtain the correct seal from this or another source, or send your cylinder off to TopHydraulics or Cabriolet Tops and have the work professionally done.