SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Convertible Top "Bumper" "Leveler" "Damper"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SL550
Convertible Top "Bumper" "Leveler" "Damper"

2009 SL550. I opened my trunk the other day to find one of those little screw-on bumper-caps (don't know what the actual name is) lying on the trunk deck, up high on the left side below where the back of the convertible top sits (the part that incorporates the rear windshield). See it in the first picture. The second picture shows that the same type of little "cap/bumper" is in place on the trunk lid hinge ***'y where it supports the trunk lid closure.

So the one that came loose is obviously from up under the convertible top but I do not know where it came loose from.

Questions:
1) Can anyone give a pretty good guess where it might have come from. (I tried to look up under the conv. top, comparing to the other (right) side, but I can't see much.
2) Is it safe to operate the top partially and shut the car off with the top in semi-open position so I can see up under the side pillars, and wherever else I might need to look.

Thanks for any help.

Pic No. 1, this is up in the "well" next to the partition and under the bottom of the convertible top, under the rear windshield.

Pic No. 2, this shows the trunk lid hinge to show that the similar bumper/cap/leveler is NOT missing from its place.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Lower the roof, then open the trunk and you'll see another one that is inside the folder "C-pillar". And of course the same bumpers are on the other side, too.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 PM

2009 SL550
Thanks for info. I stopped the top in mid-rise and in mid-lower. I saw the "bumpers" you mentioned, at the bottom inside of the c-pillars. They were present on both sides.

So, assuming the two sides are symmetrical, there are at least two more. I looked all over inside, under, behind top linkage on the right side for one that might not be present on the left side. No luck; they must be in a fairly hidden location.

Does anyone have any extensive pictures (or knowledge) of the convertible top to show where another of these "bumpers" might be. To recap, the ones on the trunk-lid hinge are both present, the ones under the bottom-inside of the c-pillars are both present (R and L) but I have one that has fallen loose from the left side, which fell in the area of the upper part of the trunk deck, roughly underneath where the bottom of the rear windshield rests--I found it, per the above picture, sitting alongside where the top/trunk partition is.

Anyone have any further idea where this one might have come from?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Oh - I found two more today. Open the trunk, the press the easy-pack button on the trunk sill do the roof drops back down. There are two more bumpers there. in the far corners.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM

2009 SL550
Sorry but I do not see those. I see the two on the hinges, and the two on the bottoms of the c-pillars-which are now facing straight up. Do you have a picture of these "other two?" Does anyone else? I know there have to be two more, because I have a loose one, and the four I already referenced are all in their places. I cannot find where these last two are hidden.

The top operates perfectly; but I'm afraid if I do not find where this one came from, something will start to work its way out-of-alignment.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
See below. But after putting a light on it, I see it's just a bolt head and not a rubber bumper head:

Old 07-08-2018, 02:58 PM

2009 SL550
Thanks Rodney for taking the time to do this & try to help. It is obvious these are to 'cushion the contact with trunk lid, c-pillar to edge of the boot cover, etc. But I cannot figure what else has to be cushioned, it must be pretty far under what we can see.

Let me know if you think of anyone who is a very in-depth vario roof expert and maybe I can msg them and they will know the locations of all of these. Only thing I can think of.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Oh - I found two more today. Open the trunk, the press the easy-pack button on the trunk sill do the roof drops back down. There are two more bumpers there. in the far corners.

Rodney, what does the easy pack button look like on your 2011? Is it the button that is lit up green? Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's the red button on the trunk sill, to the right of the latch. I think the official term in the owner's manual is "load assist". For cars with the hydraulic trunk open/close feature, the roof automatically lifts to the "load assist" position when you open the trunk, and automatically lowers when you press the close button. However, you still have the button and can use it to manually raise and lower the roof for load assist.
The following users liked this post:
danaw007 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:28 AM

2011 SL550
It's the red button on the trunk sill, to the right of the latch. I think the official term in the owner's manual is "load assist". For cars with the hydraulic trunk open/close feature, the roof automatically lifts to the "load assist" position when you open the trunk, and automatically lowers when you press the close button. However, you still have the button and can use it to manually raise and lower the roof for load assist.

yes, red not green, I thought that may be a trunk release button in case you fall in and get trapped. 😂😂😂
Old 07-09-2018, 04:05 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, that button is the green one on the inside of the lid. It does seem silly to have one on the SL, but its trunk is in fact large enough for "a body". The SLK is the one where you scratch your head and think, "There's no way a person would fit in there and need to use the escape button!" But i once saw it done! Back when I worked int he dealership, a young lady who was a clerk in the service department put herself in the trunk of an SLK and closed the lid.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 AM

2011 SL550
No, that button is the green one on the inside of the lid. It does seem silly to have one on the SL, but its trunk is in fact large enough for "a body". The SLK is the one where you scratch your head and think, "There's no way a person would fit in there and need to use the escape button!" But i once saw it done! Back when I worked int he dealership, a young lady who was a clerk in the service department put herself in the trunk of an SLK and closed the lid.

😂😂😂