SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: where is 12v ignition source for after market Headunit and amps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
sl550
where is 12v ignition source for after market Headunit and amps

ok i running through a standstill trying to install an aftermarket head unit and amps... as i have looked every for a wire harness for aftermarket radio for this car.. no wire harness to be found... because of the fiberoptic.. on the harness for the command center (oem headunit) plug there’s 2 orange fiberoptic wires which i left alone. i decide to butt connect these three where’s to the aftermarket headunit harness === the brown (-ground) , yellow n black [12v battery ) and blue n yellow ( ignition). the headunit powers on when turn on the car but when i turn the key off ... the headunit still stays on n my interior dome light decide to stay on too ... please advise what am i doing wrong ..
The following users liked this post:
lyntis (03-01-2021)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There is no switched 12v power for the factory radio. It is powered by a constant 12v circuit, and then it powers on and off via signals it reads from the CAN bus. The same goes for the illumination - CAN bus signals tell the factory radio when the headlights are switched on. When installing an aftermarket unit, you need to get switch 12v and illumination from "elsewhere". If you are going to install a "stalk" interface (to operate the radio with the steering wheel buttons), those usually include circuits for switched 12v and illumination that they decode from their interface to the CAN bus. if not, you can use tap into the cigarette lighter for switched 12v and the ashtray light for illumination.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rudeney:
lyntis (03-01-2021), OnePiece@aTime (04-20-2020)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM

sl550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
There is no switched 12v power for the factory radio. It is powered by a constant 12v circuit, and then it powers on and off via signals it reads from the CAN bus. The same goes for the illumination - CAN bus signals tell the factory radio when the headlights are switched on. When installing an aftermarket unit, you need to get switch 12v and illumination from "elsewhere". If you are going to install a "stalk" interface (to operate the radio with the steering wheel buttons), those usually include circuits for switched 12v and illumination that they decode from their interface to the CAN bus. if not, you can use tap into the cigarette lighter for switched 12v and the ashtray light for illumination.
thank u.. that explained a lot... i have one more concern about the bose amp.... i’m changing out all the speakers and adding a subwoofer running all new speaker wires with 2 amps. one amp for components and one amp for subwoofer. i was planning on unplugging the bose amp to make room for the 2 new amps... would it effect the functionality of anything else in the car??? this the most complicated but intriguing car i iever owned and worked on.. anyways please advise... thank u
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
No problem removing the Bose amp. You will be "breaking" the fiber optic loop when you remove the factory radio and amp. The TeleAid (a.k.a. mBrace) system does use that, so if you wanted to keep it active, you need to get coupler to connect the "broken" fiber circuits at the radio and amp.
The following users liked this post:
vinhtrandinh (07-13-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:12 PM

sl550
"Installing a 3rd Battery and Solenoid relay battery isolator"

No problem removing the Bose amp. You will be "breaking" the fiber optic loop when you remove the factory radio and amp. The TeleAid (a.k.a. mBrace) system does use that, so if you wanted to keep it active, you need to get coupler to connect the "broken" fiber circuits at the radio and amp.

If i want to install a 3rd battery and a solonoid relay battery isolator. Would it be a problem? please advise?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I wouldn't. The car's electrical system with the two-battery setup is already complex enough. Unless you putting in some sort of crazy multi-thousand-watt setup, you should be fine with the car's battery.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Worth noting, if you disconnect the Teleaid, it needs to be coded with STAR, or the car will look for it on every startup and when it does not find it, it'll illuminate an SRS light since the Teleaid is part of the SRS (attempts to make automated emergency call if airbags deploy or is involved in a roll over).
Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, Telelaid will give you a fault if any of its electronics are disconnected, but not the fiber ring.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:20 PM

sl550
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
Worth noting, if you disconnect the Teleaid, it needs to be coded with STAR, or the car will look for it on every startup and when it does not find it, it'll illuminate an SRS light since the Teleaid is part of the SRS (attempts to make automated emergency call if airbags deploy or is involved in a roll over).
so star diagnostic can remove that error message ?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM

sl550
can the error message be removed with star

Yes, Telelaid will give you a fault if any of its electronics are disconnected, but not the fiber ring.
can the error message be removed with star diagnostic without effecting anything else?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Teleaid can be disabled (and thus no error messages displayed) using SDS. But like I said, if you don't go unplugging things, it should be fine. Just replacing the head unit and "breaking" the fiber optic ring won't generate Teleaid errors. The most common cause of Teleaid errors is actually the "emergency" antenna located int he read bumper. A minor rear-end traffic accident can break it and then you'll get errors.