SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2009 SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL65, Raptor SVT, HD-Fat Boy
Question 2009 SL65

Being that it is an AMG version, does the SL65 not come with a limited slip differential from the factory?

I see limited slip differentials being pushed for sale in most of the performance equipment categories for this car.

Why is that?

Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 PM

I know this car is 10 years old now so the aftermarket craze has worn off by now and a lot of the previous suppliers of performance parts specifically to fit the SL65 have even gone out of business.

I'm interested in larger heat exchangers and a true cold air intake system which I hope can reduce the IAT's.

Have you all found anybody (even online) that we can still get stuff from or is it pretty much a custom made project these days?

I've seen a lot of members build their own stuff which is really cool looking but I don't have the time or access to go down the street and pick up more parts or have something delivered every other day in order to trial fit it to get it all to work properly. Not too many performance shops by me here (None for MB) and I have to order stuff and fly up to the USA to bring them down or pay $$$$ in air/sea freight!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Some mod pics

I had the exhaust replaced with a custom SS 3" mandrel bent cat+muffler delete system with x-pipe instead of h-pipe as the old one had a lot of choke points going down to 2.25" and 2.5" in some spots.

Also installed a methanol injection kit to try and help with getting cooler IAT's.

Pics below.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Finally home!

I finally got my SL65 shipped home and all bathed up resting peacefully in her new home!
Other than the unloading from the shipping container ramp scuffing up the whole underside of the front splitter, all looks ok.