SL/R230: SL500 no cranking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sl500, audi a4 cabriolet
SL500 no cranking

Hello! My First post!

Just after any info people have to help!

I have just purchased a 2002 SL500 as a none runner (brave I know! And I don’t really have any info on when it stopped starting)
although I’m not anymore I was a porsche technician for 8 years. (Never worked on merc before!)

car has two charged batteries, so power is good.

It has full dash lights, and Although central locking isn’t working the key is flashing the hazards.

it is stuck in park and won’t release.

tried x2 obd scanners, they power up but won’t scan the car properly .. one would read abs and airbag only.

when turning to crank position, radiator fans run on full chat, no clicking from starter relay

no starter signal being sent to starter relay

i bridged the relay to the starter motor for a second and the starter clunked.

all fuses and relays are good. (Apart from PSE Pump fuse which blows.. will look into that another time!)

Both front sams and engine control unit have been removed and cleaned up, inside and out (a little corrosion, on connector pins but not much)

brake pedal switch is new

12v and good earth at engine ecu

Checked engine ecu fuse, only 0.3v - this may be an issue.

both front sams have 12v

i have ordered wiring diagrams, and I’m still waiting for the them to turn up, so bit blind at the mo!
Thought it was worth a post to see if any common areas to look at? while I wait for my wiring diagrams!
Thank you in advance!

Jack
Old 07-30-2018, 10:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
when turning to crank position, radiator fans run on full chat, no clicking from starter relay
This generally means that the fan is not communicating with the ECU. Since your scanner would not read codes, I am suspecting ECU failure. Check the left under-hood fuse box for water intrusion.