SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Parking brake works but will not latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 SL500, 2004 SL500, 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4 door limited X,
Parking brake works but will not latch

My R230 parking brake works but does not stay latched. It makes the clicking sound when pushed down but will not stay down. Is there a spring broken preventing it from latching? The release handle does not have tension on it.
The following users liked this post:
larryvegas (08-07-2022)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Sounds like the cable to the parking brake release handle is somehow stuck in the engaged position and not releasing .This cable runs from the Parking Brake release handle to the parking brake foot pedal mechanism. It has either dislodged itself, the retaining pin at the end has snapped off, or most likely, the cable has crudded up and needs a healthy shot of WD40 to free it. You''ll need to release the cable from the foot pedal end 1st so that you can pull the release handle out with the cable attached for inspection and lubrication or replacement. It's a simple basic $12 cable,

Here is a picture of the cable and how it's attached to the handle.

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 08-03-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:07 PM

1998 SL500, 2004 SL500, 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4 door limited X,
Thank you for the response. The cable is in the handle and the the other end of the cable is attached to the cam. The handle pulls out 3/4" but has no resistance. Even though the ratchet clicks it does not engage. I do not know how easy it is to remove the assembly.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by 289cobra1
Thank you for the response. The cable is in the handle and the the other end of the cable is attached to the cam. The handle pulls out 3/4" but has no resistance. Even though the ratchet clicks it does not engage. I do not know how easy it is to remove the assembly.
The clicking sound is made by a plastic bit attached inside the pedal mechanism. That plastic bit doesn't serve any functional purpose other than to make the audible click. That plastic piece sometimes breaks, yet the parking brake still functions properly, albeit with no audible clicking noise during operation. Yours seems to be the opposite problem. It seems that when you depress the parking brake pedal, the parking brakes are engaged, but then when you release the pedal, the pedal returns to the disengaged position and won't latch? If that understanding is correct, and you've successfully concluded that the release latch cable is indeed still connected to the handle, but there is about 3/4" free play in the handle before resistance - then that would indicate that the cable is intact so the next place to look is at the mechanism itself (I'm writing all this out longhand so that in the future when others have this issue they can perhaps successfully troubleshoot).

So before attempting disassembly, I'd suggest dousing the pedal mechanism with WD40,. If lubrication doesn't solve the problem, then the pedal assembly may need replacing, about $200 for the part.

Parking Brake Pedal Assembly

For your sake, I hope that my understanding of your experience is as I've noted above and that the actual brakes are engaging when you press the pedal and then immediately disengaging when you release the pedal. Because it's a real bugger of a problem if the brakes themselves are not engaging as that adjustment requires disassembly of both the exhaust and drivetrain components to access the parking brake adjustment mechanism.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 PM

Thank you for the response, the parking brake does function, it does not stay in a locked position. I bought the car at a Barrett Jackson auction (mistake). The car had a clean car fax and the exterior was almost perfect. I have been chasing issues ever since I purchased the car. I repalced the alternator, the hydraulic pump, three of the hydraulic cylinders, replaced the spark plugs and other issues. I am now down to the parking brake and a driveline vibration at 2000 rpm. It is most apparent on third gear. The moter mounts appear to be ok, not leaking and were replaced 35k ago. The transmission mount appears to be ok. I have a R129 that runs perfect and has 190k on it. I hope I can get the r230 to point that it runs a smooth and reliable as my r129.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
This is a well known problem with very easy fix. Read this topic on a sister forum:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r23...-question.html

If you have any additional questions, I'll be glad to help.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55; 2001 SLK320; 2005 C240
I am the guy alk247 referred to in the BenzWorld link. I did buy a replacement pedal but ended up fixing the one that came with the car. I do have on operational spare if anyone wants to purchase it.

Tim
Old 08-08-2018, 04:50 PM

That was a simple fix. I did not know what I was looking for until your post. It slipped out of its location. It longer to remove he panel than to put the spring back into position. Thank you
Old 04-06-2022, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benz
Smile parking brake foot pedal

There is a metal bar(spring) that pops out into the release pivot. Just pop back in. just below release cable at pb asy

Last edited by oldschool35; 04-06-2022 at 01:18 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 08-06-2022, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220 Saloon
Latching problem fixed.

Originally Posted by 289cobra1
My R230 parking brake works but does not stay latched. It makes the clicking sound when pushed down but will not stay down. Is there a spring broken preventing it from latching? The release handle does not have tension on it.
I had exactly the same problem. Looks at a YouTube of the handbrake assembly treardown. There is a weak spring that keeps the ratchet lever up so that the brake ratchets tighter as you push the pedal. When you pull the release handle it pulls the ratchet mechanism back so the brakes release the the pedal returns to the top. I thought the spring was broken but it wasn't. The ratchet pall was just stuck halfway up. That is why there was no tension on the release lever and why it wouldn't hold. I pryed it back into the correct position with a screwdriver. It popped into the correct position. Now the handbrake works perfectly. Didn't have to change the assemble. Didn't have to change the brake shoes or adjust them. If your spring is broken, you could probably replace it with a similar one.

I tried to attach a link to the video that made it clear to me. The black plastic piece is the part that I forced back into its proper place. The small spring is the one I was discussing. The release lever pulls on the u shape on the top of the black lever.